Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: How soon is too soon?

Megalodon
    Images
    New members, posting frenzy and not looking at start dates.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatliner View Post
    Wow, I started this thread in 2007. It hasn't seen the light of day since 2009. To hop on it with an attitude seems a bit misguided at this point.

For anyone who is interested, it was 3 more years before I decided I was ready to tip toe into solo diving. I have found that it is now my favorite way to dive but not for any of the reasons I thought I was interested in it 3 years ago.
    I started solo not even a year after getting cert. I was comfortable with it and bought equipment to be self reliant. I also still solo dive, have not been with a dive buddy in a long time, whole other story!!! At times would be nice to have buddy however nice to not have to worry about dates and timing. The biggest thing for anyone thinking about it is the ability to think and accept problems. Being able to handle accepted problems along with consequences of the problems. I believe everyones level of confidence is different and it is hard to put a time and number of dives on diving solo. Just my 2 psi worth.
    Lets see, to dive or not to dive? Well that is a stupid question, DIVE, DIVE, DIVE, and then DIVE some more as long as it is safe!!!!!

Barracuda Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by navyhmc View Post
    New members, posting frenzy and not looking at start dates.
    I didn't have a problem with the new member part. It was the attitude I had a problem with. Seemed a little snotty to me.
    Flatliner
    aka Robert

On the road to Grand Master Spammer...

Barracuda
    I didn't have a problem with the new member part. It was the attitude I had a problem with. Seemed a little snotty to me.
    +1

Also seemed pretty condescending to me...

Barracuda
    For anyone who is interested, it was 3 more years before I decided I was ready to tip toe into solo diving. I have found that it is now my favorite way to dive but not for any of the reasons I thought I was interested in it 3 years ago.
    I'm interested, why is it your favorite way to dive? For what reason did you get into it 3 years ago and why now? I also enjoy dropping down alone.

I have yet to do a night dive all alone, but it's on my list of "to do" before the year is over. It may be a New Years eve midnight dive if the weather cooperates.
    3/4 of the Earth are covered by water and 1/4 by land. Clearly God intended us to spend 3 times as much time fishing and diving than mowing the lawn. - Wiz

Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by DMWiz View Post
    I'm interested, why is it your favorite way to dive? For what reason did you get into it 3 years ago and why now? I also enjoy dropping down alone.

I have yet to do a night dive all alone, but it's on my list of "to do" before the year is over. It may be a New Years eve midnight dive if the weather cooperates.
    thought WE had a date?(to dive NYE)
    if it has tires or testicles, eventually it is going to give you trouble

Barracuda
    I thought so too, but our 3rd diver said it was a no go and couldn't dive or maybe I misunderstood. I'm doing it either way if you want to join me it just won't be a solo dive and I'm cool with that too
    3/4 of the Earth are covered by water and 1/4 by land. Clearly God intended us to spend 3 times as much time fishing and diving than mowing the lawn. - Wiz

Barracuda Founding Member
    When I first THOUGHT I wanted to solo dive, I was motivated by the fact that I hated being the biggest air hog and I felt like I was taking away from other peoples pleasure with the dive. I didn't want that pressure. I knew that was the wrong reason and I knew I wasn't experienced enough to safely do it. As time went on, those early concerns where no longer an issue and I gradually moved into the position of planning for and looking out for others (I dive with my kids). Even when I am not diving with my kids or students, I put a great deal of my mental energy into looking out for the others I am diving with. Not saying this is bad, just aknowledging it. Solo dives are my most relaxing dives because those pressures are not there.
    Flatliner
    aka Robert

On the road to Grand Master Spammer...

Barracuda
    Ditto solo dives are my most relaxing dives! I look forward to diving with my kids and my wife someday, but I fret when that will happen in so many ways.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread Information