Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: New plan to heat Dutch Springs...

  1. #11
    Sorry, a pool cover would constitute an overhead enviroment and require advanced certification for all divers. Perhaps a new PADI specialty would be in order?
    Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

  2. #12
    Guppy
    Join Date
    07/24/2008
    Location
    Saylorsburg, PA United States
    Posts
    124
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by SkuaSeptember View Post
    Sorry, a pool cover would constitute an overhead enviroment and require advanced certification for all divers. Perhaps a new PADI specialty would be in order?
    That is what the cranes/helis are for. Or a big pipe to roll it up onto. Then it'll need a big winch to pull it backout over the water, adding to the cost. Maybe the plan needs some major tweaking not just minor tweeking.

  3. #13
    Barracuda Founding Member
    Join Date
    07/22/2007
    Location
    Asgard
    Posts
    1,390
    Images
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by navyhmc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by awap View Post
    I believe 1 cu ft of water weighs about 60 pounds. So it might cost a bit more than you had planned.
    Actually, you're close: 1 cu ft fresh water weighs 63 pounds. But Thor is correct on his math. Hey, I"ll put a dollar in.

    Hey , I'm just a messenger. I didn't do any math, just cut and paste. Heck, I didn't even know there were cu ft in that quarry. They must live pretty deep.

  4. #14
    Grouper
    Join Date
    10/24/2008
    Location
    St. James, NY
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaToys Larry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by navyhmc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by awap View Post
    I believe 1 cu ft of water weighs about 60 pounds. So it might cost a bit more than you had planned.
    Actually, you're close: 1 cu ft fresh water weighs 63 pounds. But Thor is correct on his math. Hey, I"ll put a dollar in.
    62.4.... but whose counting?
    It all depends on water temp:


    At 32° F....................62.418 pounds
    At 39° F (max density).62.425 pounds
    At 62° F....................62.355 pounds
    At 212° F ..................59.640 pounds

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by acamato View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaToys Larry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by navyhmc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by awap View Post
    I believe 1 cu ft of water weighs about 60 pounds. So it might cost a bit more than you had planned.
    Actually, you're close: 1 cu ft fresh water weighs 63 pounds. But Thor is correct on his math. Hey, I"ll put a dollar in.
    62.4.... but whose counting?
    It all depends on water temp:


    At 32° F....................62.418 pounds
    At 39° F (max density).62.425 pounds
    At 62° F....................62.355 pounds
    At 212° F ..................59.640 pounds
    So that big drop in density at 212 might explain why my buoyancy goes all to Hell whenever I swim through a boiling patch.

  6. #16
    Grouper Founding Member
    Join Date
    07/09/2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by mocepts View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maddhadder View Post
    I did a quick search and found a 20x40 pool solar cover for abbout $300 shipped.
    They are 800 sqft.
    An acre is 43,560 sq ft.
    50 acres is 2,178,000 sq ft.
    That will require approx. 27,223 pool covers
    Total cost of covers $8,166,900.
    Still working out the math on rolls of duct tape required to assemble, and a crane to lift it, or maybe a helicopter, or several. Ok, maybe this plan needs some minor tweaking, but at first glance it should be significantly cheaper than the $901,187,249.00 initial setup cost of the heaters. Just a thought.
    Forget the pool cover, have you ever seen those little fish you drop in your pool that put off that film that is supposed to heat your pool? Just get a few thousand of those and throw em in.
    I was surprised to find the fish really work.


  7. #17
    Grouper
    Join Date
    03/11/2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    269
    There was a quarry in KY that did heat the water, and I think filter it as well. Since I never made it down there I don't know exactly how they did it. I would think that solar would be the best bet if they were to really want to heat the water.

  8. #18
    Grand Poobah Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    ScubaToys Larry's Avatar
    Join Date
    07/10/2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    6,614
    Couldn't they just bottle some of the water, offer it free to divers, remove any restrooms and have people pee in the quarry after wrapping it in a big neoprene wetsuit?? Just a thought.

  9. #19
    Grouper
    Join Date
    12/13/2007
    Location
    Cumberland, MD
    Age
    45
    Posts
    408
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaToys Larry View Post
    Couldn't they just bottle some of the water, offer it free to divers, remove any restrooms and have people pee in the quarry after wrapping it in a big neoprene wetsuit?? Just a thought.

    Ahhh, you just wanna try selling them that really huge wetsuit.
    “If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” -- Jimmy Buffett
    http://www.mandtoates.net/diveblog/ -- http://www.westernmarylanddivers.com/index.php

  10. #20
    Guppy
    Join Date
    01/12/2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by SkuaSeptember View Post
    Sorry, a pool cover would constitute an overhead enviroment and require advanced certification for all divers. Perhaps a new PADI specialty would be in order?
    Well, it would be a soft overhead environment. And we all carry a knife and/or shears right? Perhaps they should just change the park rules to require everyone carry a leg sheath mounted monster killer vintage knife.
    "Who is she that kneels, so respectfully before me? A [version] of Snow White...Do not fear, my fortunate one...Come, sit on this throne, here beside me and be mine."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Dutch Springs
    By ScubaVideos in forum Scuba Diving Tube Videos
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-09-2008, 14:26
  2. How was Dutch Springs this weekend
    By MDDIVER in forum Mid-Atlantic Darkwater Diver
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-07-2008, 10:29
  3. Dutch Springs 4/12
    By caroln in forum Dutch Springs
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-15-2008, 09:37
  4. Dutch Springs.. Any Good?
    By kancho in forum Trips & Travel
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-04-2007, 09:30

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •