Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Thailand March-April 2009

Grouper

Thailand March-April 2009

We just returned from Thailand where we spent two weeks diving Phi Phi Island, Similan Islands and the Surin Islands. Phi Phi was a day dive trip with Moskito Divers. The Similans and Surin Islands were with the Phil Kade live aboard and Aquamarine Divers.

While we were in the Surin Islands, we did Richelieu (sp?) Rock. That's where I saw my first whale shark. One of the guys with us has posted his video of the encounter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx3xJkYnyoI

We also saw manta rays, leopard sharks and countless great macro stuff.

I have not yet finished my still photos but will post them on my Facebook account when I'm done.

Art

Funeral Jorunna
    Thnx Art. Glad to hear you had a good time. Did you meet any "interesting" women there?

Write on my wall when you get your pics up on Facebook.
    If you get confused listen to the music play.
    To much of everything is just enough.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by chinacat46 View Post
    Thnx Art. Glad to hear you had a good time. Did you meet any "interesting" women there?

Write on my wall when you get your pics up on Facebook.
    We did spend time in the Patpong district. However, two of the divers with us were women. There are other things for sale in the Patpong, so they informed us that they would accompany us in order to shop. This was in the evening. The "bars" leave thier doors open and the stage is right near the doors so you can get free peeks. I must have tarried too long at one place because one of the mamma-sans came out and grabbed me. She was pulling me into the bar (and I offerred sort of token resistance). Then the two diver ladies arrived at the full charge. Got into a screaming match with the mamma-san. But to tell the truth, I wasn't following the arguement too closely. I was MOST impressed with the girls on stage.

It ended when one of the women from Salt Lake City got hold of my ear and drug me back out into the street. (sigh) She explained to me later that the people on stage weren't women. <shrug> But they sure looked authentic to me.

Art

Grouper

You were right in my neighborhood...

... and you didn't even give me a shout!
    Glad you enjoyed your stay in the LOS. Come back soon.
    DIVE with me in THAILAND!
    Gekko Scuba Divers, Phuket

Shark
    So Art is there a trip report to follow?....besides your fascination with the girls...or I mean guys....or whatever

Post some pics here not on Facebook!

Long Tailed Thresher Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert_Diver View Post
    While we were in the Surin Islands, we did Richelieu (sp?) Rock. That's where I saw my first whale shark. One of the guys with us has posted his video of the encounter.

I have not yet finished my still photos but will post them on my Facebook account when I'm done.

Art
    Great video, thanks, please post a few pics here too. Glad your female companions saved you from yourself!

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Quero View Post
    ... and you didn't even give me a shout!
    Glad you enjoyed your stay in the LOS. Come back soon.
    Quero-

Our time in Pkuket was strictly regulated. We came in on the ferry from Phi Phi (and that is a place that was more than just a dive destination) and went immediately to Aquamarine Divers. After we did the liability paperwork, we were taken immediately to the dock and left on the live aboard.

When we returned (we were a tad late because there was a bad storm on out last dive day, April 9, and instead of just pressing on, the captain sheltered in some islands), we barely had time to get to the airport to catch our Bangkok flights on the morning of the tenth. We had intended to drop off some Scubaboard Sticker to you, but schedule ran away with us. PM your snail mail address and I will send them.

We want to thank you for your advice about our Bangkok stay. We used your recommended hotel. It was great. It was right on the track of the elevated railroad. Travel by tuk-tuk and taxi was slow at best. The elevated train zoomed right around and was completely unaffected by the poliltical disturbances that we going on our last two days. And there were a million Thai and Chinese hole in the wall resteraunts right around the hotel. Every night, our group would go in and order 5-6 dishes with a bowl of rice for each individual. We would then pass those dishes around so everybody got a portion. Thai food rocks.

On those last couple of off gassing days, we did Bridge Over the River Kwai, the Floating Market, and the market right by the river at the end of the el line(On Nut?). We did at least two wat tours, Wat Pho (Reclining Buddah) and Wat Arin (the one with a gazillion VERY narrow steps to the top). We spent and evening in the Patpong district shopping. Was THAT ever an eye opener for a farm boy from Kansas!

We found the Thai people to be delightful and very friendly. I'm really glad we did this trip. And thanks for you help.

Art

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Travelnsj View Post
    So Art is there a trip report to follow?....besides your fascination with the girls...or I mean guys....or whatever

Post some pics here not on Facebook!
    You would have loved it. There was a storm the last dive day/night. You would have spent the whole time leaning over the rail.

I will try to post pics on ScubaToys but I'm not sure exactly how. I will ask when I have the photos ready. I will do the trip report at the same time.

And just to make you feel bad, those Thai girls were OUTSTANDING. Unfortunately, we took chaperones with us.

But a great trip never the less.

Art

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulubelle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert_Diver View Post

Art
    Great video, thanks, please post a few pics here too. Glad your female companions saved you from yourself!
    I will do it for no other reason that to keep Travelnsj and Chinacat from whining.

And only a female would have expressed herself that way. Just what is it that makes women even THINK we want to be saved from ourselves?

Art

Funeral Jorunna
    Art,

I'll be happy with pics either or both places. Also remember your buddy check.

BWRAF - Bangok Women Really are Fellows. LOL
    If you get confused listen to the music play.
    To much of everything is just enough.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information