Thread: how should I get started

TadPole

how should I get started

Hi, I wanted to know if anyone knows of a nice place in the los angeles area to et certified. Are there any clubs/etc...? hanks for your advice in advance.
    nima

Grouper
    Go to NAUI website and do training center locater

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    I think I'd look in the phone book for a LA County diver program if I could find one. They have a very good reputation.
    Matthew P. Cummings
    Moberly MO

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by porsche060 View Post
    Go to NAUI website and do training center locater
    Or PADI. Or SDI. Or SSI. Talk to several dive shops and the instructors (if possible). Who do you connect with? Who's pushing you to buy? Who's saying "take your time"? You may have to talk to several before you feel comfortable.
    rick

Grouper
    Images
    check out all your options. use that list to find the websites then find dive centers. you may even find a freelance dive instructor you like best. Everyone will give you opinions about who the best certification agency is but what matters is how you feel about that agency. I like my agency but i'm not going to tell you to go with them because just like a lot of opinions it comes from someone who hasn't tried out everything. All i can tell you is that it is not often someone is unhappy with their ow agency. find someone you are comfortable with but that is going to challenge you to learn and not be pushy with product lines.

Grouper
    Just try to avoid 3 day course. Look for a multi week course. They should also let you borrow their equipment not charge you for it or make you buy it till the O/W dives

Grouper Founding Member
    You are very lucky to live in Los Angeles as you can take advantage of the best certification agency in the country if not the world:
    L.A county UICC.
    You can check out instructors at : http://lascuba.com/lessons.html
    Those are instructors that will teach you well and give you the basis to become a good diver. Keep in mind that all Baywatch rescue divers in L.A are UICC trained as well as many if not most at the Long beach life gards/fire dep./homeland security rescue divers.

Grouper
    Yup, LA Country basically set the standards that have become the basis of PADI, NAUI and other courses. Those groups, unlike LA County, have to be able to market a product, and thus they all face market pressures to make the course shorter, lighter weight, easier . . .

Now, easy doesn't need to mean 'less rigorous,' it is perfectly possible to teach just about anyone what they need to know to be a safe, skilled divers, but there are legitimate questions around the more popular certification agencies on the level of skill they are producing in the aggregate.

One other agency you should consider is CMAS Americas. They have decided to take the fairly stringent requirements of CMAS to the American public. Now, CMAS faces the same challenges in Europe as PADI does in the USA, but in the US, they are so far setting a pretty high bar (at least around where I live).

Thread Information