Thread: Genesis RECON BCD

TadPole

Genesis RECON BCD

Hello,

I am a newly certified diver. During the course, I was using a TUSA BCD. Standard inflation type. I have found an ad for a used Genesis RECON, but it has the back-mounted air cell.

WHat are the pros and cons of such? Is this style good for a new diver?

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    The Recon is a decent BC. Knock off stying trying for the pseudo-military look like the Zeagle Rangers, but cheaper. Still, don't pay more than $250 even if in pristine shape.

Back-inflate BCs are not as nice on the surface as jacket-style, but most find them superior underwater, as the air bubble is on your back, which helps you get into the correct horizontal trim position. Underwater performance trumps surface performance, to my mind.

The little pocket in the front of the cummerbund is both useless and annoying. And the D-rings are smaller than they should be, IMO. But other that those nit-picks, it's fairly decent. My buddy used to dive one until he moved to a backplate and wing.

Images
    My dive buddy has one and seems to like it. He actually likes the front pocket, but to each their own. I would suggest looking at the back inflate vs. jacket style. I've got the Genesis Cobra 2 (jacket style). I wish I had a back inflate. Some say the back inflates push your head in the water at the surface, but those I've talked too that use them say this really isn't an issue and the better buoyancy you get with the back inflate is worth it.

My next BCD will either be a back inflate or a backpack / wing setup.

S. Nagel

TadPole
    thanks for the replies. He is asking 260, but I am sure it is negotiable. I will take a look at it.

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by John Henry View Post
    Hello,

I am a newly certified diver. During the course, I was using a TUSA BCD. Standard inflation type. I have found an ad for a used Genesis RECON, but it has the back-mounted air cell.

WHat are the pros and cons of such? Is this style good for a new diver?
    John Henry, the Recon is a very durable BCD. I put over 4000 dives on mine, and when I wanted to replace it, they had stopped making it. that BCD has 75 lbs of lift...I once used it as an airbag to lift an outboard motor!! The only drawback with any weight integrated BCD is total lack of negative buoyancy if you don't have the pouches in.....once you master the art of leaning back and just enough inflation on the surface to keep your face out of the water. Over inflation pushes you forward!
    All in all, you can't go wrong with this BCD.

Thread Information