Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vertigo during Ascent?

Vertigo during Ascent?

For some reason this issue is sometimes present and sometimes not. Most of the time, I do experience a little bit of vertigo during a dive but it alwas happens during an ascent. It is very small and it never lasts for more that 5-10 seconds. This has happened while diving with and without a hood and I usually have no problems equalizing. I tend to descend rather quickly with no equalization problems as I equalize every 5 ft or so. Any ideas on what might be the cause or any possible solution?

Megalodon
    Images
    First thing to try is slow down your descent to around 30-40 fpm and slow your ascent to 20-30 fpm. Also, what is your position as you ascend? While you don't notice any problems with pressure equalization in your ears, your inner ear and especially your Semi=circular canals which are your main source of position input for your brain.

A lot folk folks who ascend vertically and are lookng straight up seem to have more or a problem than those who ascend at an angle or near horizontal.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Quote Originally Posted by navyhmc View Post
    A lot folk folks who ascend vertically and are lookng straight up seem to have more or a problem than those who ascend at an angle or near horizontal.
    I usually ascend at an angle. But the problem is really during just a change of depth. ie:

I am playing around at about 50 ft. and I see something moving around at 45 ft. and decide to explore. Without rushing to it by ascending too fast, i just breathe deep and gently float up horizontally. That will cause a little vertigo. Its not such a major problem but I want to know if it can escalate. I always let my buddy know of this before the dive just for them to be aware.

Guppy

I get this as well sometimes...

Quote Originally Posted by ndv21 View Post
    I usually ascend at an angle. But the problem is really during just a change of depth. ie:

I am playing around at about 50 ft. and I see something moving around at 45 ft. and decide to explore. Without rushing to it by ascending too fast, i just breathe deep and gently float up horizontally. That will cause a little vertigo. Its not such a major problem but I want to know if it can escalate. I always let my buddy know of this before the dive just for them to be aware.

not too often , but often enough to be mildly concerned... its not a good feeling... I dont think I'm about to pass out, but I do feel my head swim a bit coupled with maybe a hint of a nauseaous feeling... I don' like it... , luckily it passes in maybe 15 seconds... I stay realatively horizontal and dont believe I'm ascending/descending too rapidly...

Shark Founding Member
    Enid, Oklahoma (no longer living the desert life)
    Images
    I have had vertigo only once, but it wasn't mild. It was on ascent about 60 feet. I went from 100% normal to completely F-ed up in a second. Don't know how long it lasted, felt like forever but I think it was only a few seconds. What I have learned since then is that you can be doing everything right and still get hit. It's caused by the inner-ear not equalizing equally and quick enough.

Since you know that you have a recurring issue with this, just keep it in mind and try to slow down your ascent even more than the recommended rate to help out.
    Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Grouper
    I usually get vertigo 10 to 15 times a year. The only thing that seems to help is taking sudafed prior to diving. I've noticed that I'm more likely to have a problem when the old sinuses are acting up. Course, this makes perfect sense.

I've also learned to read my body very well during dives and I can pretty much predict when I'm going to get hit. This allows me to stop what I'm doing and let it pass. Usually it only takes about 5 seconds.

I've spoken with many divers about this and I've found that those who get vertigo get it, while many others have never had a case of it. Similiar to the fact that some have problem equalizing while descending while others never have a problem. Personally, I'll take the vertigo over trouble equalizing since I've seen many struggle with this problem.

Hope this helps and you aren't alone.

crosseyed95

Grouper
    I have experienced vertigo underwater a couple of times. It is similar to the way you describe it in that it was mild and brief. For me, it signaled the beginning of an ear infection.
    For some reason this issue is sometimes present and sometimes not. Most of the time, I do experience a little bit of vertigo during a dive but it alwas happens during an ascent. It is very small and it never lasts for more that 5-10 seconds. This has happened while diving with and without a hood and I usually have no problems equalizing. I tend to descend rather quickly with no equalization problems as I equalize every 5 ft or so. Any ideas on what might be the cause or any possible solution?

Interesting about the ear infection. I have been diving actively for the past 3 yrs and I have never had an ear infection. I always clean out my ears with qtips after a day of diving then flush them with swim ear. Maybe that helps keep it away.
    Quote Originally Posted by gee View Post
    I have experienced vertigo underwater a couple of times. It is similar to the way you describe it in that it was mild and brief. For me, it signaled the beginning of an ear infection.

Grouper
    Only time I got vertigo was on a dive before my dive light it was very dark conditions and I got dizzy, didn't last but 5 seconds at the very most but that was not fun at all.

Like others have said I would go alot slower on your ascent and maybe try to be more vertical than at a angle when going up any.
    You gotta pay for the pleasure of my company

Grouper
    Agreed ncv21. Since that episode, I have been proactive with taking care of the ears especially after diving by rinsing with alcohol & vinegar.
    Interesting about the ear infection. I have been diving actively for the past 3 yrs and I have never had an ear infection. I always clean out my ears with qtips after a day of diving then flush them with swim ear. Maybe that helps keep it away.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information