Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: for all you anxious night divers

Grand Master Spammer
    Quote Originally Posted by Okc_diver View Post
    I will be doing my first night dive this weekend in Cozumel and I can't wait. While I was doing my deep dive last year the sun was starting to go down we were in a lake with mountains all around (near Lawton) and as we went deeper it got dark. My instructor only had a small backup light with batteries that really needed to be changed before we went in (they didn't), I had no light 50 feet down it was dark has vis about 1 foot. I kept thinking some large fish was going to swim by and suprise me. So I now have a new light, beacon, and great vis to look foward to!

Being deep in a lake with limited vis IS basically a night dive, but worse. If you handled that OK, your dive in Cozumel will be a walk in the park. Have fun!
    Diving is safe.....People are dangerous!

Grouper
    Did my first night dive like this in a lake about a week ago. We used glow sticks on our tanks and a strobe on our dive flag to find our way back. It was an awesome dive and although wasn't a whole lot more to see when we did it i want to do it again.

Grouper
    I actually prefer night diving to day diving. Especially when going deep. You don't get the nervousness down deep as much when you already started in the dark

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by boates View Post
    out there.
    The best way to start night diving is to go before dark. Time it that your dive is approximately 1/2 hr light(dusk), then it will just get progressively darker, and you will adjust as you go. In at light, out at dark.
    Remember, dive plan, choose a site you know. and your light plus at least 1 back-up light, a personal (tank) marker(glow stick, light ) of your choice........all that said.....just go for it!!!
    That's how I did my first one, and it was very comfortable, especially since it was a very sheltered familiar spot. One thing to remember is to mark the exit very clearly - it can all look the same in the dark from water level. Our spot involves climbing down rocks (rip-rap) and while it's all doable, some parts are much easier...

Grouper
    Images
    all my night dives have been at dutch springs. alittle nervous to do it in the ocean

Guppy
    thats a great idea! Ill have to convince my buds to do that so theyll go

Grouper Founding Member
    i think doing a location you've dived frequently is a good idea, or at least scouting it out beforehand if you don't have a guide coming with you.

I wasn't really nervous my first time, but some people often are. It's defintely a different experience, your vision in my mind is a lot more focused because you're limited to seeing things that your light allows you to.

I love doing night dives in the caribbean...it's when all the octopus and eels come out of their hiding spots....and lots of other weird things. Don't forget to look up occasionally....you might see a school of squid hangin out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information