Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: for all you anxious night divers

Grouper

for all you anxious night divers

out there.
    The best way to start night diving is to go before dark. Time it that your dive is approximately 1/2 hr light(dusk), then it will just get progressively darker, and you will adjust as you go. In at light, out at dark.
    Remember, dive plan, choose a site you know. and your light plus at least 1 back-up light, a personal (tank) marker(glow stick, light ) of your choice........all that said.....just go for it!!!
    With the privilege of diving, comes the responsibility of conservation.

Night diving is awesome. I did my first night dive late last summer and it was midnight when we got in the water. It was a site we had dived many times, but going at night made it a whole new experience!!

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by boates View Post
    out there.
    The best way to start night diving is to go before dark. Time it that your dive is approximately 1/2 hr light(dusk), then it will just get progressively darker, and you will adjust as you go. In at light, out at dark.
    Remember, dive plan, choose a site you know. and your light plus at least 1 back-up light, a personal (tank) marker(glow stick, light ) of your choice........all that said.....just go for it!!!
    Good plan. That's the way we did our first night dive, and everyone was very comfortable with it.
    "Stay thirsty my friends"

Grouper
    Images
    Good idea. Many of the creatures you would like to see at night are also active at twilight.

Grouper
    Going to be doing my 1st night dive this fall in St Croix. I've done the same dive in daylight so it should help with any nervousness I have.

TadPole
    I had a great time on my first night dive. I'm having trouble convincing the wife to give it a try.

Grand Master Spammer
    I loved night diving so much that I did the padi specialty (just to have the card I guess ) I agree, starting at dusk is the most fun. My thoughts on lighting; in clear water you CAN have too much. You don't want to scare all the critters away nor blind other divers. With multiple divers, try putting a different color glow stick on everyone's tank valve. It's pretty cool to look around and know who everyone is.
    Diving is safe.....People are dangerous!

Megalodon
    Images
    I've never had a bad time on me night dives. My first sal wate night dive was a little spooky because I was sure something was going to come along and eat me. When they didn't I just kept at it. One thing I've done is had different color glow sticks for buddy pairs on larger groups. That way if you do get separated by a little, you know what color to look for. I've also noted a lot of charters put a strobe on the ascent line to help you find your way home.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Grand Master Spammer
    Quote Originally Posted by navyhmc View Post
    I've also noted a lot of charters put a strobe on the ascent line to help you find your way home.
    I can see how that would help you get back to the boat, but how would it help you find your way home? I use a GPS for that, but I'm always willing to learn new tricks from you elderly folks.
    Diving is safe.....People are dangerous!

Grouper
    Images
    I will be doing my first night dive this weekend in Cozumel and I can't wait. While I was doing my deep dive last year the sun was starting to go down we were in a lake with mountains all around (near Lawton) and as we went deeper it got dark. My instructor only had a small backup light with batteries that really needed to be changed before we went in (they didn't), I had no light 50 feet down it was dark has vis about 1 foot. I kept thinking some large fish was going to swim by and suprise me. So I now have a new light, beacon, and great vis to look foward to!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information