Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Overview of Baggage Fees

Grouper
    Images
    I got pegged on the way home from Atlanta for a 62 3/4" bag. It cost an extra $39. Funny how they never catch those things on your way out.

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by openhelix View Post
    I'm flying continental this summer as well so I called. The rep said 50 lbs regardless. No 70# exception for scuba gear. Other than that, she basically read me the info from the page:
    That stinks.... Now what the heck are we going to do... last year we packed both of our gear into our Akona bag and got in at 68lbs... we were fine, the lady at the counter had us open it and prove it was only scuba gear and no clothes. This year we are going to Coz again (since I got sick last year, but that's a WHOLE other story) and I guess we either pay the over weight fee or bring ANOTHER bag and pay that fee... wow

TadPole
    most international flights will allow a bag or two depends on the carrier

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Planetjon View Post
    most international flights will allow a bag or two depends on the carrier
    The grey area here is for those who have to take a domestic flight to get to the international flight. It seems that we're at the mercy of the person who checks us in. It's easier to argue if you're flying the same carrier to the final destination, but that doesn't happen very often anymore.

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoochy View Post
    I'm flying continental this summer as well so I called. The rep said 50 lbs regardless. No 70# exception for scuba gear. Other than that, she basically read me the info from the page:
    That stinks.... Now what the heck are we going to do... last year we packed both of our gear into our Akona bag and got in at 68lbs... we were fine, the lady at the counter had us open it and prove it was only scuba gear and no clothes. This year we are going to Coz again (since I got sick last year, but that's a WHOLE other story) and I guess we either pay the over weight fee or bring ANOTHER bag and pay that fee... wow
    Each of you get 1 50lb bag free, you should be able to to get your individual gear and extras in a bag and keep it under 50lb. Plus you get your carry on so you have a little wiggle room to move stuff if needed.
    DevilDiver

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilDiver View Post

Each of you get 1 50lb bag free, you should be able to to get your individual gear and extras in a bag and keep it under 50lb. Plus you get your carry on so you have a little wiggle room to move stuff if needed.
    Yeah, but our Akona bag held both of our stuff so nicely... We knew both of our gear including SS BPs, canister lights, EVERYTHING made it under 70lbs, and we traveled like that numerous times. It's just the annoyance of it all that bothers me. I'll make sure that we both use up our 50lbs now just to spite them since we were using 70 combined previously. Jerks.

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilDiver View Post

Yeah, but our Akona bag held both of our stuff so nicely... We knew both of our gear including SS BPs, canister lights, EVERYTHING made it under 70lbs, and we traveled like that numerous times. It's just the annoyance of it all that bothers me. I'll make sure that we both use up our 50lbs now just to spite them since we were using 70 combined previously. Jerks.
    That's the spirit!

It would be nice to have the 70lb back but it's not likley to happen.... It's like the government, once they take it they will never give it back.
    (They might give it to someone else but they never give it back, cause you should have never had it to begin with- shame on you......)
    DevilDiver

Continental used to allow up to 70lbs for any checked bag (within the size limits) that contained strictly scuba gear. Can anyone confirm that this still applies?

Link to Continental's Sports page It doesn't say anything about the weight limit they are using now, it just states that if it weighs over 50lbs and DOES contain other objects besides scuba gear, you will have to pay the fee... is it safe to assume that the weight limit is still 70lbs then??

Scuba Equipment

Continental does accept one dive bag containing equipment used in the scuba-diving sport as checked baggage. Scuba equipment in addition to the baggage allowance will be assessed at the excess baggage charge applicable in the market for a single piece.
    Dive bags weighing over 50lbs (23kg) that contain other items in addition to or in place of appropriate dive equipment will be subject to the applicable overweight fee.
    Dive bags measuring over 62 linear inches (157 cm) that contain other items in addition to or in place of dive equipment will be subject to the applicable oversize charge.
    If applicable, the first ($15) or second bag fee ($25) applies to scuba equipment.
    An empty dive tank will not be included in determining the Free Baggage Allowance and will be subject to a $100 service charge (each way).
    An empty dive tank or up to 3 rebreather tanks will not be included in determining the Free Baggage Allowance and will be subject to a service charge of $100. The empty dive/rebreather tank must have the regulator valve completely disconnected form the tank. The tank must not be sealed (i.e. the tank has an open end). The tank must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection by a TSA Security Screener.
    Note: for Rebreather Equipment: Soda lime that is 4% Sodium Hydroxide or less will be accepted in checked baggage. Soda lime that is 4.1% Sodium Hydroxide will not be accepted in checked baggage.
    An item of SCUBA equipment consists of one empty SCUBA tank, up to 3 rebreather tanks or one dive bag containing equipment used in the scuba-diving sport. The empty scuba/rebreather tank and a separate dive bag containing SCUBA equipment will be charged as two separate pieces.
    Continental is not liable for damage to Scuba diving equipment.
    Excess Valuation may not be purchased for Scuba diving equipment.
    So basically - if I'm reading this right - you can add a dive bag, and they will charge you the same fee they would for any other extra bag over the baggage allowance?
    Seems to me that it is a waste of their time to write a policy that says we'll let you bring on a bag and charge you for it no matter what it contains.

So... when my wife and I fly out on Continental tomorrow morning with our 1 checked bag each plus our bag of dive gear we'll be paying for one extra bag?
    It is late, my brain isn't working...
    -Aaron

Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by PTAaron View Post
    So basically - if I'm reading this right - you can add a dive bag, and they will charge you the same fee they would for any other extra bag over the baggage allowance?
    Seems to me that it is a waste of their time to write a policy that says we'll let you bring on a bag and charge you for it no matter what it contains.

So... when my wife and I fly out on Continental tomorrow morning with our 1 checked bag each plus our bag of dive gear we'll be paying for one extra bag?
    It is late, my brain isn't working...
    In March I flew Continental to Palau & the Philippines Business/First from LA. I had one bag that was around 69lbs and another around 45lbs plus 2 carryons no extra charges. But that is the Micronesia route.

Grouper
    Images
    I flew from Oklahoma City to Cozumel 2 weeks ago on Continental I had 1 checked bag 1 carry-on and a backpack. The checked bag had my clothes in it and my wetsuit the carry-on had my gear: bc, reg, mask, fins, lights, dive computer, snorkle, dive boots, swimsuit, & log book. The backpack had my laptop, 2 cameras, extra lens, u/w case for camera. I didn't get charged for anything either way. The carry-on is made by Deep See it said in the tag that it was accepted by all airlines as a carry-on. I don't think ST sells that brand I picked it up at a local shop.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information