Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Overview of Baggage Fees

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    I travel a bit for business, maybe four or five trips a year, and one or two for personal/fun stuff. For the past year, nearly two years, I've been saving my checked bag receipts and then submitting them when I get back home to the various airlines, requesting reimbursement for the baggage fees. Virtually every flight I get on these days, the gate agent is checking bags for free because the plane is booked full and the overhead space is full and overflowing. So... I cite this fact and request reimbursement for my bags. Why should I have to pay when the gate agent is checking bags for free. United Airlines website makes it very easy to submit a request. American Airlines website sux. But i'm batting 100% refunds with both of those airlines... although American took a couple of back-and-forth emails. Delta Airlines simply ignored my request - I won't be flying Delta anymore. I try to fly United or American just to keep all of my miles with those two companies, and earn free flights for personal trips.

Even if you don't get reimbursed, consider traveling with your own gear. It's only about $25 or $30. Considering that a week long dive trip could cost $1500, what's another $50 in baggage fees? Our dive equipment is LIFE SUPPORT equipment if you think about it. I dive using only my own equipment - equipment that I know the maintenance history is good. Who knows the last time a rental BC or Regulator was even visually inspected. In an emergency, I want my own BC - because I know it like the back of my hand, and I practice safety training with my mask off, knowing exactly where my releases are, opening the pockets to pull out a knife, etc. I want my own regulator for obvious reasons. I want my own fins.

Knock on wood - I've never had an emergency. But, I don't want to have to hope that rental equipment is good in that situation. Rental equipment could be the source of an emergency. I've seen two rental regulators go bad on folks.
    To those in the miltary who serve, past and present, to protect my freedom, I thank you. I've had a good life so far.

Barracuda
    Images
    Great idea on the getting your money back. One thing I might add on having your own equiptment. After you get it checked out by a "professional" try it in a pool. This year we had our gear serviced by a reputable dive store. When we got to the Red Sea we found one of my hoses was not tight and one of my brothers hoses was leaking air the whole lenght. So we paid for nothing. We had our dive op correct the problem by tighting my hose, and putting a set of guages on my rig, Then putting my hose on my brothers computer ( I have a wrist computer). Just saying

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mcr0112 View Post
    Great idea on the getting your money back. One thing I might add on having your own equiptment. After you get it checked out by a "professional" try it in a pool. This year we had our gear serviced by a reputable dive store. When we got to the Red Sea we found one of my hoses was not tight and one of my brothers hoses was leaking air the whole lenght. So we paid for nothing. We had our dive op correct the problem by tighting my hose, and putting a set of guages on my rig, Then putting my hose on my brothers computer ( I have a wrist computer). Just saying

Agreed. I'm lucky (?) enough to have a pool in my backyard. I always check out my gear before a trip. I also practice a lot of "safety" stuff in the pool.

-D
    To those in the miltary who serve, past and present, to protect my freedom, I thank you. I've had a good life so far.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information