Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does Gimp work with Vista?

You could try running it in XP compatibility mode.

Find the Gimp executable, right click, select properties, click the 2nd tab.

Grouper
    Found that & selected the xp button. Thanks for responding diversteve. If that doesn't work, I'll get a bigger hammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by diversteve View Post

Grouper
    Diversteve,

Maybe I shouldn't speak too soon, but Gimp is running for several hours without a problem. You are a genius! Thanks for your help!

My first impression with gimp is even though I have a lot to learn, it is more than adequate for me.

Grouper
    Diversteve,

Maybe I shouldn't speak too soon, but Gimp has been running for several hours without a problem. You are a genius! Thanks for your help!

Thanks to all of you that responded to my call for help. I hope I can return the favor some day.

I have a lot to learn about Gimp but, my first impression is that it will be much more than adequate for me.

Grouper
    I wanted to provide a quick update on using Gimp with Visa. As I stated in the above post, (and I see that I posted twice, sorry about that) it is more than adequate for me. I'm not too deep into manipulating images, but a few that were over/under exposed were saved from the trash bin. The more I use it, the more impressive it is. I've only scratched the surface, but I'll be using Gimp for all of my future digital processing

I finally got Picasa v3.0 to open the CDW files and I really like how easy it is to organize images with Picasa.

I also downloaded a trial package of aperture (on an ibook) and would really like to use it, but the price of Gimp and Picasa ($0.00) is hard to beat.

I've quickly gone from being totally and blissfully ignorant about processing digital images to realizing how much I have to learn.

Grouper
    What was the issue with the .crw files in Picasa? What was the fix?

Grouper
    I'm not certain JKCAT. I was using an older version of Picasa and installed 3.0 (thanks again for that suggestion) but I didn't see a change. It still gave a message that the .CRW file was not a valid file. I returned to working with gimp and later in the day went back to Picasa which then recognized the raw files so I was able to download them. I blame it all on microsoft !
    Quote Originally Posted by JCAT View Post
    What was the issue with the .crw files in Picasa? What was the fix?

Grouper
    Images
    I use gimp of my vista 32bit and every now and then I get issues. I just close it out then restart the program. It works (most of the time) and can't beat the price of free.
    I have dis... disleck... dyslec... I give up... I can't spell!

Guppy
    I never have problems running gimp on vista. But then I don't work on any one file for extended periods of time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information