Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Does Gimp work with Vista?

  1. #1
    Grouper
    Join Date
    04/08/2009
    Location
    alabama
    Posts
    421

    Does Gimp work with Vista?

    I recently downloaded Gimp so I could play around with some test photos using the CHDK hack for Canon cameras. Iíve only touched the surface of the Gimp manual but, after about 2-3 minutes of poking around with save, color, saturation etc. It shuts down (4 times so far) with a message that Gimp has stopped working and is shutting down.

    Before I throw in the towel, Iím wondering if Gimp is compatible with Vista or is there something else I should do (short of upgrading to Windows super duper & photoshop mega$)?

    Here are some details:

    Computer: Inspiron 1316
    2.13 Ghz
    1 G RAM memory


    OS: Windows Vista Home Edition
    (32 Bit)

    Gimp 2.6

    Any thoughts?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    08/29/2007
    Location
    Corinth, Texas
    Posts
    4,140
    Images
    21
    Not sure but I would check the GIMP site first, I am sure they would have compatibility info posted somewhere.....

    Let us know what you find.
    DevilDiver

  3. #3
    Grouper
    Join Date
    08/06/2007
    Location
    South Carolina
    Age
    56
    Posts
    639
    Picasa 3---it's free, works with RAW format, and it's quick.
    Did I say it's free?

    cheers

    EDIT: Works with any flavor of windows.
    Last edited by JCAT; 05-28-2009 at 12:09. Reason: vista too

  4. #4
    Grouper
    Join Date
    04/08/2009
    Location
    alabama
    Posts
    421
    Thanks for the suggestion to try picasa. I've downloaded v3 & get a "not a valid file" when I try to upload the .CRW file. I must be missing something.
    Quote Originally Posted by JCAT View Post
    Picasa 3---it's free, works with RAW format, and it's quick.
    Did I say it's free?

    cheers

    EDIT: Works with any flavor of windows.

  5. #5
    Grouper
    Join Date
    04/08/2009
    Location
    alabama
    Posts
    421
    It just says it works with Windows but I suspect there is some issue with Vista Home Edition. I'll try another DL.
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilDiver View Post
    Not sure but I would check the GIMP site first, I am sure they would have compatibility info posted somewhere.....

    Let us know what you find.

  6. #6
    Grouper
    Join Date
    03/30/2008
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Age
    40
    Posts
    757
    Seems that it is a known issue with Gimp when it queries fonts in Vista. From what I've read, after it shuts down, re-open and try it again and eventually it will return to normal, and the next time you open it, since the fonts are cached, it won't hang like that.

    http://www.daniels.net.nz/2006/09/21...-and-the-gimp/

    I also found this about an SVG.exe crash: Everything void: Gimp on Vista: svg.exe has stopped working

    Hope this helps.
    .....

  7. #7
    Grouper
    Join Date
    08/06/2007
    Location
    South Carolina
    Age
    56
    Posts
    639
    Quote Originally Posted by gee View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion to try picasa. I've downloaded v3 & get a "not a valid file" when I try to upload the .CRW file. I must be missing something.
    Quote Originally Posted by JCAT View Post
    Picasa 3---it's free, works with RAW format, and it's quick.
    Did I say it's free?

    cheers

    EDIT: Works with any flavor of windows.
    I use it on my laptop when we travel(vista home prem). Question, did you unlock your sd card before you tried to IMPORT the .crw file?

    cheers

  8. #8
    Grouper
    Join Date
    02/28/2009
    Location
    Rogers, AR
    Age
    30
    Posts
    728
    Gimp works fine for me on vista. I'm using a notebook and vista 32-bit by the way.

  9. #9
    Grouper
    Join Date
    04/08/2009
    Location
    alabama
    Posts
    421
    reacti
    I followed the steps for the SVH crash. Thanks very much for that link. I thought is was going to solve the problem but, a few minutes after opening Gimp & adjusting an image, the program stopped working.
    Quote Originally Posted by reactive View Post
    Seems that it is a known issue with Gimp when it queries fonts in Vista. From what I've read, after it shuts down, re-open and try it again and eventually it will return to normal, and the next time you open it, since the fonts are cached, it won't hang like that.

    http://www.daniels.net.nz/2006/09/21...-and-the-gimp/

    I also found this about an SVG.exe crash: Everything void: Gimp on Vista: svg.exe has stopped working

    Hope this helps.

  10. #10
    Grouper
    Join Date
    04/08/2009
    Location
    alabama
    Posts
    421
    JCAT,
    When I try to upload the file from the card I get the "not a valid file" message with it both locked and unlocked.
    Quote Originally Posted by JCAT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gee View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion to try picasa. I've downloaded v3 & get a "not a valid file" when I try to upload the .CRW file. I must be missing something.
    Quote Originally Posted by JCAT View Post
    Picasa 3---it's free, works with RAW format, and it's quick.
    Did I say it's free?

    cheers

    EDIT: Works with any flavor of windows.
    I use it on my laptop when we travel(vista home prem). Question, did you unlock your sd card before you tried to IMPORT the .crw file?

    cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. uwatec infrared vista interface
    By Ram4wd in forum Computers and Gauges
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-30-2009, 16:13
  2. M2 and Vista?
    By Tully Mars in forum Computers and Gauges
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-13-2009, 13:17
  3. Does Anyone use GiMP
    By mpd525 in forum Techniques
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-11-2008, 09:41
  4. Vista 64 USB Driver
    By TheGoast in forum Aeris - Oceanic - Hollis
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-04-2007, 12:55

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •