Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intro to tech

Grouper
    This post is probably mute but I will post anyway. With TDI the intro class can be anything that is needed. Since we were going on to adv. nitrox/deco with the same instructor we focused more on those skills.
    Both of us had experience with doubles and were weighted and trimmed right. So it was valve drills, bottle drop and usage, gear configuration, frog kick.
    If you need other help then that class can change focus really quick.
    BTW, it wasn't the class itself that could have been better, rather my skills.

Quote Originally Posted by crpntr133 View Post
    Ah, OK. I misunderstood. I just got home from the quarry and feel exactly like the OP....I really laughed after reading it again now that I've finished the course.
    On one hand it wasn't as frustrating as I thought it would be but it also made me realize how much I need to practice skills while hovering. I actually thought that I was getting pretty good at this hovering thing so this put me right back in my place I have a brand new 7mm wetsuit so that made it even more challenging.
    It was a lot of fun though. The most awesome part? I can back kick now! (And in split fins) A drysuit might just be in my future though.....

TadPole Founding Member

Cool Tec Diving

Quote Originally Posted by mtnplayva View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crpntr133 View Post
    Ah, OK. I misunderstood. I just got home from the quarry and feel exactly like the OP....I really laughed after reading it again now that I've finished the course.
    On one hand it wasn't as frustrating as I thought it would be but it also made me realize how much I need to practice skills while hovering. I actually thought that I was getting pretty good at this hovering thing so this put me right back in my place I have a brand new 7mm wetsuit so that made it even more challenging.
    It was a lot of fun though. The most awesome part? I can back kick now! (And in split fins) A drysuit might just be in my future though.....
    Congratulation on your Intro to tec there is many many more steps to go and it just keeps getting better

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by jj1987 View Post
    Are instructors recommending that you take a class for your first time in doubles? I was told to get experience in them with a mentor and then take the class to refine skills, just curious.
    I have been diving doubles for about 9 months. and practicing the tech skill to get ready for tech. Man what a change! doubles are great.

Grouper
    How long does the TDI intro to tech course take? Do most people already have all their equipment like for the full adv nitrox and deco course or are most people new to it and renting for the course?

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j1j2j38 View Post
    How long does the TDI intro to tech course take? Do most people already have all their equipment like for the full adv nitrox and deco course or are most people new to it and renting for the course?
    I would guess most people own the equipment before they take the class. A full bp/w and doubles rig with 7' primary hose and bungeed secondary, at the least. It may make sense to hold off on deco bottles until you're ready to actually take the class, however, since you really can't use it anyway until training starts (at least, not with 50%/100% deco mixes... and you don't want to contaminate an o2-clean rig with air just for practice).

Barracuda Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j1j2j38 View Post
    I never did an Intro class but have been through TDI's Adv. Nitrox/Deco class. I traveled to take the class(wanted to take it from instructors that where very experienced in the diving I wanted to do) because of this they provided all tanks. Basically I was giving a set of doubles and deco tank first day. Keep the same ones throughout the week. I had everything else, Primary regs, 2 deco regs, BP/W, can light and backups, computer and backups, reel, spools, lift bag, SMB ect.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information