Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drift Diving

TadPole

Red face Drift Diving

If anyone could answer this question for me I would be appreciative. We are going to Cozumel next month for two weeks. I was told the last time we were there that split fins aren't as good to use when drift diving as straight blade fins. I am not sure which ones to pack.
    Thanks

Megalodon
    Images
    The best fins to take are those you wear the most and are comfortable diving with. I use vented fins so they are the best for me. I've not use splits in current yet.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Grouper
    Ditto above. As with any gear, wear what you are most comfortable diving with. I've done drift dives in both - and for me its the ones easiest to take off before climbing back onto the dive boat.
    "The sea is not out to get you. It does not even know you exist."

Megalodon
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jet126 View Post
    Ditto above. As with any gear, wear what you are most comfortable diving with. I've done drift dives in both - and for me its the ones easiest to take off before climbing back onto the dive boat.
    Totally correct!

Barracuda
    Images
    You wont be swimming against the current long at all or it will kick your azz. Just drift along and try to anticipate where you would like to be next.
    finning a bit to get cross current or lining up the boat well before you need to make your exit. Sometimes its like driving on ice.

Megalodon
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WaScubaDude View Post
    You wont be swimming against the current long at all or it will kick your azz. Just drift along and try to anticipate where you would like to be next.
    finning a bit to get cross current or lining up the boat well before you need to make your exit. Sometimes its like driving on ice.
    What I usually try to do is stay upcurrent from the DM on the dive and as it gets closer to the end, I will be in close proximity to the DM so when we surface, I'm near the bouy and don't have to do a lot of kicking to be at the boat. Most dift dives have the DM holding a bouy line and the boat follows behind about 100' so they can pick you up easily when your done.

Shark
    I only use my ScubaPro graphite twin jets anywhere I have dove...although some of the currents I have to dive against....I may be finning like crazy I'm still going backwards!!....I then head to the bottom and claw my way forward!

Grouper Founding Member
    i'd tend to feel the opposite....i think split fins deliver power with less effort and come in handy when finning against the current.

that said, i think the key is good trim, that will allow you to swim against most of the currents in coz. sometimes the currents in some places are strong enough where it's just impossible, and even getting to the bottom doesn't work.

I loved my atomic smokes last time i was there.

Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdEye View Post
    i'd tend to feel the opposite....i think split fins deliver power with less effort and come in handy when finning against the current.
    LOL...I used to think that too....but when you are facing 3 to 4 knot currents you have to swim thru in Palau or Raja Ampat....My good old Twin jet split fins leave a bit to be desired....In all other cases they are the best fins I've ever worn...and I have not switched yet

TadPole

Drift Diving

Thanks to all I am going to take the split fins. I've used them in the past there and love the way the fit. As was said it is whatever you are most comfortable diving with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information