Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bonne Terre Mine

Grouper

Bonne Terre Mine

Anyone dove at the flooded mine at Bonne Terre Missouri ?
    http://www.2dive.com/btm.htm
    Looks like an incredible site. I think that will be on my list for this winter.
    Not stoned just slightly narc'd

TadPole
    I have not dove it, and I don't particularly care to. Some of the DMs I know there are pretty arrogant, and my experience at their shop here in St Louis has never been positive. The tours are pretty much hand-held and boring, and the price is outrageous. Do some searches around the net before you go to make sure you really want to dive it. I was about to sign up for some dives before I heard what everyone had to say.

Tom

Grouper
    This came up as a possible trip for my LDS, and the general response from the folks who have done it are "eh, it's there, but it's not really worth either the cost or the time."

I haven't been there myself, but the thing I hear from a lot of people is that it's one of those dives that are something of a check-off dive. Being able to say you dove the site is a bit more important than the dive itself will ever really be.

Shark Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by b1gcountry View Post
    I have not dove it, and I don't particularly care to. Some of the DMs I know there are pretty arrogant, and my experience at their shop here in St Louis has never been positive. The tours are pretty much hand-held and boring, and the price is outrageous. Do some searches around the net before you go to make sure you really want to dive it. I was about to sign up for some dives before I heard what everyone had to say.

Tom
    I've heard the same thing. But to be fair, I've never been there, even though it isn't too far away.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingpatzer View Post
    This came up as a possible trip for my LDS, and the general response from the folks who have done it are "eh, it's there, but it's not really worth either the cost or the time."

I haven't been there myself, but the thing I hear from a lot of people is that it's one of those dives that are something of a check-off dive. Being able to say you dove the site is a bit more important than the dive itself will ever really be.
    I agree. I would rather drive 9 hours to the Springs in the FL panhandle than 6 hours to a guided tour of a cold water mine.
    "Human beings are flawed individuals. The cosmic bakers took us out of the oven a little too early. And that's the reason we're as crazy as we are." - Desdemona

You don't know Desdemona? . . . "She runs this space station and bake shop down near Boomtown."
    - Jimmy Buffett

TadPole
    Been there. Done that. Got the T-Shirt AND the hat! (Actually I think I lost the T shirt.) Anyway, it is a haul, and at $60 per dive it's really pricey even if it does include the tank rental. Check my review on SB from this January for the whole story, but to summarize: The 100' viz is fabulous if you enjoy seeing a whole LOT of rocks in the dark, a few old mining implements like drills and shovels and ore carts (the EXACT same ones you see on their website, BTW...)

My group found the staff to be very helpful, actually. Though we never got our promised refund for the value of the last dive which we cancelled due to reports of horrible winter driving conditions on the roads back to Chicago. (The ONLY reason you can cancel and get your $$ back.)

I'm glad I went because I can say I've been there. But for the time and money, I'd bet you could find a weekend junket to Cancun, including a couple meals a day, free umbrella drinks and unlimited shore diving for not much more!

Next time I want to get wet in January, THAT's what I will look for.

PM me if you want more details.

TadPole
    I should clarify a little. I know one very nice instructor that works for West End Diving. I also used to work with one of the DMs there that was a real prick during work hours, and very demeaning when he was talking about diving to me (if you don't dive OUR mine, you aren't a real diver, type of attitude.) I've also been completely ignored when I've gone into their shop by one person. Another time I went there the sales rep was telling me what I need, not listening to what I wanted...

YMMV

Tom

this might not be the place but after checking the site, they say you need a power inflator on you bcd, what is that all about???
    NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THERE YOU ARE
    A GOOD PLACE TO GO http://www.calypsodiversinc.com/

I have asked about this mine and have heard from several fellow divers, and they all say you should do it once, but the owner is an @ss. They are very strict, if you make a reservation, they reserve the right to change it, and they do, so you must call a couple weeks out, then the night before to be sure that you weren't rescheduled. I am interested in going, however all my buddies have been there and don't want to deal with the hassel again.

Barracuda Founding Member
    i don't know anyone who was dissapointed with going once, but i also don't know anyone who would go back.

actually, the only positive review i've heard was from an LDS here that takes a yearly trip there... so maybe the instructors from that LDS are good friends with the guys up there by now or something so it all goes smoothly and everyone gets along fine.

Grouper

Not planning on going ever

Bonne Terre mine seems far to pricy of a deal to consider. I live close to St. Louis and there are several other places in Missouri and surrounding states that I would rather go.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information