Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: diving blue hole

Grouper
    Awesome pics, really make its feel like you're there.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by BubblesMcCoy View Post
    I'll have to check them out. As Lawton is about two and half hours away, I don't make it down there very often.

Don't get me wrong, although I've enjoyed Oklahoma ever since we got here, I stopped counting the times when some well intentioned Okie highly recommended some "Mexican" restaurant that turned out to be more akin to bland airline food.

For example, in Texas, I'm considered a lightweight when it comes to all things spicey. Here in Oklahoma however, aside from a few select Asian locals in OKC, I've yet to find a sauce worthy of calling "hot". After being here for about three years, I just decided to hold off on mexican restaurants unless we were back in Texas or otherwise beyond state lines.
    I live in Texas now, and as far as spicy... there are a select few people that I will make salsa for, as it is "warm" to say the least. The base for the salsa, habanero peppers, about 1lb of them to be exact then there are the "other" peppers that I use in moderation (Bhut Jololia - more commonly known as the "Ghost Chili"), as they will peel the paint off of an aircraft carrier. Salais' is good food

~Recon

great pics. maybe il make the 8 hour trip to santa rosa next time im back in AZ. i've only read about this blue hole. would it be worth the trip?

Grouper
    Tamalewood (Albuquerque NM), United States
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by neugierig View Post
    great pics. maybe il make the 8 hour trip to santa rosa next time im back in AZ. i've only read about this blue hole. would it be worth the trip?
    watch my videos and decide for yourself....

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Recon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BubblesMcCoy View Post
    I'll have to check them out. As Lawton is about two and half hours away, I don't make it down there very often.

Don't get me wrong, although I've enjoyed Oklahoma ever since we got here, I stopped counting the times when some well intentioned Okie highly recommended some "Mexican" restaurant that turned out to be more akin to bland airline food.

For example, in Texas, I'm considered a lightweight when it comes to all things spicey. Here in Oklahoma however, aside from a few select Asian locals in OKC, I've yet to find a sauce worthy of calling "hot". After being here for about three years, I just decided to hold off on mexican restaurants unless we were back in Texas or otherwise beyond state lines.
    I live in Texas now, and as far as spicy... there are a select few people that I will make salsa for, as it is "warm" to say the least. The base for the salsa, habanero peppers, about 1lb of them to be exact then there are the "other" peppers that I use in moderation (Bhut Jololia - more commonly known as the "Ghost Chili"), as they will peel the paint off of an aircraft carrier. Salais' is good food

~Recon
    OMG Please, Please, Please give me the recipe for that Salsa.

TadPole
    It Was Nicer Then Because You Had A Choice You Could Go In If You Wanted To Now There Is No Choice It Is Covered With Rock And It Is Not As Deep As It Was Then Due To All The Rocks That Were Either Dumped In Or Caved In Depending On Who's Story You Listen To.i Was Away In The Navy When This Happened So I Don't Know How It Happened I Just Know It Sucks

TadPole
    It Is Always Better When There Is A Choice.now There Isn't

Megalodon
    Images
    When I dove BH, there was a grate over the spring that was locked. I was told this was done because a few folks opened it, wnet down and died. There was also a desk down there that had a sign on it that said "Welcome to the Santa Rosa Chamber of Commerce. Please take a number and have a seat." The sign stayed on that desk for years, then someone swiped it-bastard! Back then you needed a SR CoC permit that was $8 for the year. I've heard it's changed a lot since my last dives there.

We had to go to the east side Albuquerque for air fills back then too.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Shark Founding Member
    Enid, Oklahoma (no longer living the desert life)
    Images
    Santa Rosa is currently re-doing the Blue Hole area. They are constructing a whole new dive shop, and a conference center. I think they are planning to pave the parking lot also. The cave does have a locked grate over it's entrance still. Several years ago the Army Corps of Eng. came in and pumped tons of silt out of the bottom. I still can't tell much of a difference. You still have to buy a diving permit from the city office, although there is an online form you can use to expedite the process (It never took that long anyway).

IS it boring? If you dive it a lot it could be. But like others have said, if it's the only option for diving at the time, it's that or nothing. The Blue Hole is an artesian spring which is 80' diameter on the surface, and is 80' deep. It is shaped like a bell, so it's about 120' across the bottom if I remember correctly.

The best thing about the BH is that if you get there before the OW students, you can have over 80' of vis!

Since I am now starting my cave training, I would love to be able to enter the cave but the city will not allow anyone access. There has been a lot of speculation that the cave is on the verge of collapse, which would swallow the current parking lot.
    Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Megalodon
    Images
    I was under the impression that the cave structures began about 80'-100' below the bottom of the hole.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information