Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breathing

Breathing

Being new to diving i have an odd question do most people exhale through the regulator or bypass the regulator and out there mouth. During my open water certification i was breathing past the regulator and not out through it (found this to be a little easier and less bubbles in my face.

Grouper
    I've never thought to do that, but I can't see how it would be a problem as long has you're keeping the reg comfortably in your mouth and you're OK with any water that might trickle in. However, I'd think that a 2nd stage that does a better job of directing bubbles away from your face would be a better solution (in a normal diving posture, I don't really see my bubbles)...

I actually would have water trickle in when i would breath out through the mouth piece.

Long Tailed Thresher Shark
    I'm a newer diver, less than 2 years now, so I may not be the best person to offer advice to you on this. But it seems to me that if you have water trickling into your mouth that you may be taking some risk that you will have your regulator fall out of your mouth while you are underwater. Certainly you know what to do if it does but it may cause you undue anxiety if this happens as a newer diver and I'd hate to see that happen.

I'd recommend that you get to a pool or quarry and practice getting more comfortable breathing in and out of a regulator. I consider mine an extension of myself until I am on deck. But I don't want to be at 130 feet and have my regulator fall out. It would be a bit disconcerting.

Maybe you can try some different regs before you buy one to find one that you ARE comfortable breathing in and out of.

Good luck.

I normally exhale through the regulator, or occasionally through my nose & mask (helps prevent mask face!) I think Lulu's advice to practice and become comfortable is good .... if your holding the regulator so lightly in your mouth that you can breath out the sides, not only might you have your regulator knocked out if you catch your hose on something (or someone) - I know I've accidentally yanked mine a time or two! - but if you have water trickling in, seems like you might aspirate some into your lungs which cause a real coughing fit - not so good a thing underwater.

Guppy
    Wow never really thought about anyone not exhaling through the regulator before...good question. Maybe there are more people that do it that way than I imagine.
    Anyway my thoughts on this are as follows and they are simply thoughts. I would think it would increase the chance of something unforeseen occurring. One being sucking water when you think your about to suck air. I would imagine this could happen is a couple of different situations. Maybe a little more water trickles into the regulator mouthpiece than you realize and you suck in enough water on the next inhale to make you choke or gag a little.
    Next for whatever reason if you were to get into a maximum air effort. If your sucking hard on that regulator then that probably means you are blowing hard on exhale and the tendency might be to blow it right out of your mouth if your not tight on it or get crossed up and suck water.
    Another thing might be if you ever have to throw up while underwater…yes it happens. If your habit was to blow past the regulator then once again you might blow it right out of your mouth when you throw up or get crossed up when you try to get back to breathing and suck water.
    The problem with any scenario is that I would think it would be harder to get your normal breathing pattern back if your wishy washy on the regulator instead of secured down. Yes, wishy washy is a tech diving term. J
    Last edited by Airborne!; 07-25-2009 at 15:40.

Megalodon
    Images
    Actually, it's not a bad question...I know a diver who exhales out their nose-I see bubbles flowing out the mask with each exhale.

To the OP, the reg is intended to be exhaled through, I'd get a better seal and go that route. It will also solve that water issue.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Guppy Founding Member
    [QUOTE=navyhmc;317777]Actually, it's not a bad question...I know a diver who exhales out their nose-I see bubbles flowing out the mask with each exhale.

My OW instructor did this and since I have used this "technique" myself a few times and feel comfortable doing it. However I find that my air consumption is far more than when I exhale through the reg? I don't think I can control my exhalation rate nearly as well through my nose as I can while exhaling through the reg.

Megalodon
    Images
    The one big problem I have noted with divers who do a lot of nocse exhaling is that their maks will fog up faster that someone who exhales through their reg.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Grouper
    Images
    Did you find breathing out through the reg. to be difficult? If it was a rental reg. there could have been something wrong with it. I never really thought about exhaling like that...might have to give it a try!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information