Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: night diving. your experiences?

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by DMWiz View Post
    I don't know how the viz is on your side of the state, but out east is great for night diving usually specially with a little moon light. I really enjoy doing the Ft. Lauderdale wrecks at night and hunting is always better at night specially for lobsters

idk how the night diving is but I know the day diving is pretty good. nothing like south florida though. its AMAZING down there. we actually used to live in ft. Lauderdale and my dad dove there a lot but I was too young to dive then

Barracuda Founding Member
    I find it more relaxing.
    Flatliner
    aka Robert

On the road to Grand Master Spammer...

Barracuda Founding Member
    Images
    It is the closest you will get to feeling like an astronaut

Grouper
    I was a little nervous in the begining, but now I'm a believer. Night dives are a whole different world. Different critters and the envrionment looks different at night.

Try to dive the site first during daylight in order to get the lay of the land.

Sharpen up your nav skills. If possible, leave a tank light or a strobe on the anchor chain. It makes finding your way home much easier.

Don't worry what's out there beyond the reach of your light. It's the same stuff that is out there in the day.

Watch for reflected red light. Some of the little critters are easy to find if you look carefully at the little pin pricks of reflected light.

Be careful at certain locations at certain times of year. Light attracts some stinging kinds of critters. You will be most vulnerable entering and exiting the water. (Sea lice come to mind as an example.)

Have fun. Dive safe.

Art

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by TRiggER2117 View Post
    I don't know how the viz is on your side of the state, but out east is great for night diving usually specially with a little moon light. I really enjoy doing the Ft. Lauderdale wrecks at night and hunting is always better at night specially for lobsters

idk how the night diving is but I know the day diving is pretty good. nothing like south florida though. its AMAZING down there. we actually used to live in ft. Lauderdale and my dad dove there a lot but I was too young to dive then
    Depending on where you are it's a short run out here... I know a few people who do that all the time.

Come on down!
    3/4 of the Earth are covered by water and 1/4 by land. Clearly God intended us to spend 3 times as much time fishing and diving than mowing the lawn. - Wiz

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by TRiggER2117 View Post

Depending on where you are it's a short run out here... I know a few people who do that all the time.

Come on down!

we might just do that after I get a few more dives under my belt. I know the viz there can get pretty good at times

TadPole
    I don't have too much experience in night diving. But doing it in Curacao in September/October 2005 during the coral spawn is in my memories as one of my best expiriences in diving.

Grouper
    Have you gone yet?

Something else to keep in mind: if you see something cool try not to shine your light on it for too long. Fish use cover of darkness to hide from predators, too. You might be putting a big spotlight on someone's dinner!

Grouper
    I did my first night dive after OW down in Cozumel and was so relaxed, my air consumption went from about 45 minutes, to over an hour with plenty of air left during my dives the rest of the trip. It really made me a much more efficient diver and you see some incredible things...BR

I did my night dive as part of AOW few days ago...I liked it more than day diving...I saw more fish, different kinds & they were not swimming away as usual. The atmosphere was very serene & yes...I felt like an astronaut!
    http://weingut-hund.de/1dc3b

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information