Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jocassee Junk

Grouper

Jocassee Junk

Here's a short video of the Junk at Lake Jocassee, South Carolina.

Sorry it's B/W, but it has a little bit more clarity like this.

Canon A570IS + Epoque WA

The Junk

Megalodon
    Images
    Not bad...looked like your vis 10'?

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Grouper
    About 10-15' vis. I changed the video to B/W for better clarity, lots of silt this time of year at that depth.

It can't be seen in the video, but the wall is to my left. Drops to 175'. Before the end of summer, I'll get some video. Below about 80', the vis really gets good, sometimes up to around 50', however the temp drops quick.

Guppy
    Great job, JCAT... my first deep dive was "over the Wall" with M. Atkins of The SCUBA SHOP... never forget the experience.

Grouper
    Highly possible I was there, as I dive regularly with The Scuba Shop. Mike, Corey, Jean, Ritchie and the rest of the staff are very experienced and knowledgeable.

Jocassee is a great teacher, especially the wall. One of the first lessons it taught me 5 years ago, was that wearing a hood is a good thing, even in the dead of summer.

I hate ice cream headaches

Guppy
    They're the best... make you feel like home.

Barracuda
    Hey JCAT...how deep is the Junk at Jocassee? I have a little time underwater, but my 13-year old son is newly certified and wants to do some non-penetrating wreck diving. I figured the Junk would whet his appetite, if within his range.

Grouper
    Usually 60' or less. More often less. Depends on the lake level, starting to drop a bit since we need rain. I've seen it at 44' before.

The Junk is a great training site to work on critical wreck skills like reel use, perfect trim, frog kicks in a confined environment.

Divers can penetrate the wreck easily, as it is very open with a little bit of overhead.

Come on up, water will start turning cold in late Oct.

cheers

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by JCAT View Post
    Usually 60' or less. More often less. Depends on the lake level, starting to drop a bit since we need rain. I've seen it at 44' before.

The Junk is a great training site to work on critical wreck skills like reel use, perfect trim, frog kicks in a confined environment.

Divers can penetrate the wreck easily, as it is very open with a little bit of overhead.

cheers
    Thanks for the info, JCAT. We have some friends that are wanting to spend a couple days at Jocassee during Labor Day Weekend. We're thinking about meeting them there, and doing a bit of diving while there.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by TJDiver View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JCAT View Post

cheers
    Thanks for the info, JCAT. We have some friends that are wanting to spend a couple days at Jocassee during Labor Day Weekend. We're thinking about meeting them there, and doing a bit of diving while there.
    I forgot to mention, there are a couple of ski boats sunk in the vicinity as well. One is close to the junk, the others you'll need to hunt for, which is fun for navigation skills.

EDIT: I'll post a picture of one of them in the afternoon.
    Last edited by JCAT; 08-26-2009 at 05:12. Reason: add

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information