Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: your opinion on the aqualung slingshot vs atomic splits

Guppy

Lightbulb your opinion on the aqualung slingshot vs atomic splits

whats your opinion. I have heard amazing things on both but im having a hard time deciding.

Also whats your opinion on atomic springstraps for the open heel fins

any help is greatly appreciated

TadPole
    I haven't use any of the fins but I have a couple friends who tried the slingshot fins and were not impressed. The way I see it is that the slingshot is a very heavy fin and the three stiffness adjustments would not be that easy to use underwater.

Spring straps on the other way are the best accessory you could ever purchase!!! I am reccomending them to my students all the time and all of them are blown away when they start using them.

Anton

Shark Founding Member
    Enid, Oklahoma (no longer living the desert life)
    Images
    The slingshot looks like a goofy gimick, and I don't see how it would improve anything over a standard fin. It's also just one more thing that can break.

As for the spring straps, GET THEM. I don't care what brand you get, spring straps should be standard on every fin in my opinion.
    Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Guppy
    Thanks! I will definitely purchase some spring straps for my fins

as for the slingshot. Ive been readin up and it seems like if u break the band that keeps it from "slingshotting" there is no replacement and you have to buy a whole new pair.

still wondering about the Atomic Split fins though

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fire diver View Post
    The slingshot looks like a goofy gimick, and I don't see how it would improve anything over a standard fin. It's also just one more thing that can break.

As for the spring straps, GET THEM. I don't care what brand you get, spring straps should be standard on every fin in my opinion.
    +1. Gimmick that can break. In return for introducing a MAJOR failure point, you get what in return for an impressively large amount of money?

+1 on spring straps, whatever your fins. They rock. Get 'em.

I prefer solid fins to splits, but the best splits on the market, IMO, are the Apollo Bio-Fins. Atomics are just too long and stiff, to my mind.

I have tried the slingshot and was OK with them, there are far worse, but would never buy a pair. I ended up leaving them in 3rd gear and I never could get them into reverse.
    Sorry I'll stay with my Mares Quattros......with spring straps.

Haven't tried either of those fins... but I'll also suggest spring straps! Check out the ones from Piranha - great product and they are around $22 a set.

I have Tusa X-pert Zoom fins - and I really like them a lot. With my Mares solid fins I used to get calf cramps a lot, has not been an issue on 6 dives with the split fins. Takes a little to get used to the feeling of doing less work each time you push though.
    -Aaron

Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by CompuDude View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fire diver View Post

+1. Gimmick that can break. In return for introducing a MAJOR failure point, you get what in return for an impressively large amount of money?

+1 on spring straps, whatever your fins. They rock. Get 'em.

I prefer solid fins to splits, but the best splits on the market, IMO, are the Apollo Bio-Fins. Atomics are just too long and stiff, to my mind.
    For someone that likes solid fins that are stiff, the Atomics, in my mind, would be an ideal crossover fin...

I have Atomic splits and Tusa splits... love em both - as mentioned, the Atomics are stiffer than most other splits, Tusa included... They are not heavy like the Bio-fins...

Spring straps are nice, but not for me... my problem is that I am between fin sizes, so my feet don't fit right in a large, but are loose in an extra large... Because they are loose, the spring straps don't hold my foot tight enough for comfort for me... It probably works great for 99% of people, my wife included...

As for slingshot... If you just can't decide if you like a soft solid fin, or a stiffer solid fin, then I guess it might be for you... If, however, you find a solid fin you like, then you probably just saved yourself $100 or more...
    -cody / on vacation from vacation...
    PADI MSDT Instructor, US Coast Guard Captain - Master Near Coastal

Shark
    Images
    I have Appolo Bio fins and like them, but they may pretty big for travelling on a cruise. Pricy too.

Grouper
    Trigger, there's a pair listed HERE in the for sale area, Atomic Splits, great price I might add.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information