Thread: Anyone ever see a Nautilus

Grouper

Anyone ever see a Nautilus

They are featured prominently in PADI literature but I have read that they are deep sea animals. The only place i have found searching on the internet to see a nautilus involves them catching a nautilus and then releasing it at the surface so you can watch it swim down.

Grouper
    Images
    I found this on http://www.waterencyclopedia.com/Ce-Cr/Cephalopods.html

Nautilus is found in the southwestern Pacific Ocean and Indian Ocean. It lives at a depth of several hundred meters during the day, but will come up as shallow as 5 meters (16 feet) during the night to hunt. Planispheral shells of the Nautilus can be cut into two halves that are bilaterally symmetrical. In contrast, conispheral shells (such as most snails) coil along a vertical axis forming a pointed spire, and are not symmetrical.

FyVe
    i saw a whole show on the discovery channel about the Nautilus... it's quite an amazing creature... they can sustain incredible amounts of pressure with that hard shell....
    it's a pretty cool creature i wish i could ever see one one day but i'm far from the pacific and i haven't gotten into night diving yet but i will....

Thread Information