Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone make an SPG w/Alarm?

Grouper
    Images

Anyone make an SPG w/Alarm?

Just curious.

I wonder why SPG manufacturers dont integrate a simple digital alarm to the unit. Something that would alert you if you screw up and don't monitor your air and get down to 500 psi or something.

Seems like this would help avoid many OOA situations.

Yeah, I suppose it would be battery powered, and therefore could konk out w/o you knowing it.... I could see the arguement that you wouldn't want this to be a crutch that you DEPEND on.

Hmmmm....thoughts?

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyWombat View Post
    I wonder why SPG manufacturers dont integrate a simple digital alarm to the unit.
    Because it is completely uneccessary.

If you like gadgets just buy an air integrated computer

Grouper Founding Member
    They have an intuitive alarm. When it gets hard to breath you should check to see how much air you have.

That was a joke

No diver should need this. If inexperienced you should be checking a lot. More experience you should know your SAC rate and can tell by time how much air you have. As well as checking the guage a few times throughout the dive.

Ron

Guppy Founding Member
    To say nothing of the fact that unless you could program it to fit your dive profile for each dive, it would be completely useless. For me an alarm at 500 psi is not important information - I could still have plenty of diving remaining or it is too late to help me. Even in this case you would just be replacing looking with hearing - I don't know about you, but I trust my eyes on a dive more than I trust my ears.

Grouper
    i agree with above posts. AI computers can do it if you really want a sound alarm. lots of peole have their SPGs in a console with compass and depth gauge. you have to check the compass for navigation and depth gauge to stay in nd-limits so you might as well take a look at your spg while using other gauges that are next to spg. it's a very good habbit to check your gauges and relying just on a beep is a bit dangerous. depending on your depth 500 psi might be too low for a safe ascent anyway.

Grouper
    I have an AI computer and I hate the annoying pressure alarm. It is totally unnecessary but I can see why they have them for the less observant diver.

For instance, on many dives we end at 35'-15' of water. If it is a nice shallow reef and I an under the boat and feel comfortable with the conditions I might drain my cylinder well to below 500psi. in the mean time beep-beep beep-beep. You would think I am diving with the road runner.

The problem is that you can not selectively turn off the alarms - it is all or nothing. And you can not set the pressure alarm to zero.

Barracuda
    Images
    There should be no need for a "low air alarm"..
    As a new diver you should be checking your air frequently..
    As you become more experienced you will know your air usage and remaining air pretty accurately - so there really is no need for this..

Grouper
    Images
    I agree with the "you shouldn't need this" mindset.....BUT.....there are still regular postings about people running out of air.

Just curious. Not something I think I would even want myself but my cynical says that this is one of those "bells and whistles" that you could convince people to buy, even if it is not needed.

-bw

Barracuda
    Images
    Not even that, it would basically create people to be non-alert and irresponsibile for themselves..

And then when someone relies so much on it and the first time it fails to alert a diver and he dies/gets injured..they will sue the inventor and put them out of business...it just isnt necessary..check your gauges regularly - its that simple!

I would also be worried about if you THOUGHT you set the alarm but didnt. You would be waiting for the alarm and then its too late.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information