Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ice Diving

Shark Founding Member

Ice Diving

I was just curious who has been ice diving and what they thought about it. I am really thinking about doing it this Feb. I think that it would be pretty awesome.

Any other special gear considerations besides a good reg that can handle the cold water?

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by skdvr View Post
    I was just curious who has been ice diving and what they thought about it. I am really thinking about doing it this Feb. I think that it would be pretty awesome.

Any other special gear considerations besides a good reg that can handle the cold water?

Phil
    I have done it but only once. It was a lot of fun. I stayed shallow as I found the most exciting part of the dive to be playing with the ice itself. Like you said a good regulator is the key. Another equipment consideration you may think of, and I can't remember if it was a pre-requisite for my course, is at least an H-valve so that you have redundant first stages incase one were to free-flow.
    “There\'s nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you.”

-Woody Hayes

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by skdvr View Post

Phil
    Done it, got the card and unless there is something great to see, not likely to go back. Its cool for a bit but the tethered line is quite annoying.

Definitely do it if your interested. Is a hoot. Oh, its definitely drysuit terrirory. Thinking of doing it in a wetsuit makes me cold now.

Shark Founding Member
    I am really thinking it is something that I would like to do. My LDS makes a trip up to Lake Okoboji, IA and I just think that would be awesome. I was kind of wondering about the teather. I was wondering if you noticed it much or not. I think that would annoy me too, but I would be glad to have it so I could find my way out...

Thanks
    Phil

TadPole
    Let me know if you do it Phil, I'll go under the ice with you!

Tom

Shark Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by b1gcountry View Post
    Let me know if you do it Phil, I'll go under the ice with you!

Tom
    It is the trip that TGADC is doing. I am going to go up and talk to them about it this weekend. I am also going to sign up for a dry suit class this weekend.

Phil

Grouper
    I would love to go ice diving guess i'll have to wait around jan - feb here to go do it.

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by in_cavediver View Post
    Done it, got the card and unless there is something great to see, not likely to go back. Its cool for a bit but the tethered line is quite annoying.

Definitely do it if your interested. Is a hoot. Oh, its definitely drysuit terrirory. Thinking of doing it in a wetsuit makes me cold now.
    The owner of my LDS goes every new year's eve at midnight with a 5mm suit. He has been doing it for many years. I think he is insane to do it in the dark, and with just a 5mm suit, but if it makes him happy...

Shark Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by terrillja View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by in_cavediver View Post

The owner of my LDS goes every new year's eve at midnight with a 5mm suit. He has been doing it for many years. I think he is insane to do it in the dark, and with just a 5mm suit, but if it makes him happy...
    That seams pretty crazy to me too...

Damn that would be cold...

Phil

TadPole

Thumbs up

I went ice diving last year in Lake Okoboji and received my certification as an ice diver during that weekend. I am going back this winter as an assistant. It was an amazing experience and I hope to get a lot more ice dives under my belt so I can attempt bigger trips in the next few years. It was a challenge with the equipment and that was part of the fun. If it was easy everyone would do it! You definitely need a drysuit, an environmentally sealed regulator, dry gloves or 7mm flexible wet gloves, and a dry hood. I also bought an ice cap ( Henderson makes one) . We used Blue Water divers up there and we sprung for the ice hut, totally worth it. There is a heater which warmed the hut up to a balmy 19 degrees when it was -3 outside with a -27 degree windchill factor.
    Debra W.
    Retired

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information