Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dealing with trapped air.

Barracuda Founding Member
    Images

Dealing with trapped air.

I was diving with a Zeagle Brigade and had some issues with trapped air this weekend. If the inflator hose doesn't work then the rear valves usually work, depending upon my attitude. I tried all of the dump valves this time and some real problems getting air out of the BC (I know there is air in there), which I eventually resolved by rolling one way and then another.

Does anyone have any tricks they use to deal with this problem?

Grouper Founding Member
    I don't see any other way of dumping air besides the hose or the dump valves.

I can see this being tricky especially on ascent, since the dump valves are located on the bottom and pretty much useless when you're upright.
    Negra Modelo por favor.

Grouper Founding Member
    BTW-what did you end up finding wrong?
    Negra Modelo por favor.

TadPole
    IF I have trouble venting air out of my brigade I just lean to the right,all the air seems to then prient itelf at the inflator hose. Also I just pulled on the inflator hose and that will vent air but my OW instructor said that could cause the inflator to break. He suggested I open the inflator up and cut the wire that attaches to the valve but I was to scared

Grouper
    I dump head down using the dump valves at the bottom of the bc. I also take the inflator hose out of the keeper so it is all of the way vertical. Between those two things I get all the air out.

Barracuda
    You have to dip your right shoulder on descent and hold the corrugated straight up. I pull the velcro keeper open and extend the hose its' entire length. Once below the surface I go horizontal and use the bottom dump valves for trim. I tend to stick with the bottom dump valve on the left side since I'm used to that from diving the BPW. If I still have some air left I roll a little and repeat on the right side. With all of it's great qualitites, the Ranger and it's various clones trap air. That's just the way it seems to be with that BC. I've had a Ranger for several years and the shoulder rolls are still automatic even though I don't use it as much as the BPW these days.
    NAUI Instructor, NAUI Trimix Diver

Barracuda Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mm_dm View Post
    You have to dip your right shoulder on descent and hold the corrugated straight up. I pull the velcro keeper open and extend the hose its' entire length. Once below the surface I go horizontal and use the bottom dump valves for trim. I tend to stick with the bottom dump valve on the left side since I'm used to that from diving the BPW. If I still have some air left I roll a little and repeat on the right side. With all of it's great qualitites, the Ranger and it's various clones trap air. That's just the way it seems to be with that BC. I've had a Ranger for several years and the shoulder rolls are still automatic even though I don't use it as much as the BPW these days.

Glad (sort of) to hear that it is typical of this BC and not something wrong with my setup. I have an SMB in a pouch attached between the BC and wing on one side and I moved my rear weight pouches to the upper strap and I was starting to wonder if somehow either of these things were interfering with how air travels in the wing or that the weight pouches were somehow blocking the shoulder dump valve.

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by thor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mm_dm View Post

Glad (sort of) to hear that it is typical of this BC and not something wrong with my setup. I have an SMB in a pouch attached between the BC and wing on one side and I moved my rear weight pouches to the upper strap and I was starting to wonder if somehow either of these things were interfering with how air travels in the wing or that the weight pouches were somehow blocking the shoulder dump valve.

It's not a big deal, I adapted to it quickly (I've discussed this issue with experienced divers here and on other boards). It's a great BC and one that may outlive me. Mine is several years old...a few hundred dives on it, what velcro there is on it is almost dead, my yellow weight pouches are bleached out and covered with duct tape, but the beast lives on, trapped air and all.
    NAUI Instructor, NAUI Trimix Diver

Barracuda
    I had a wing that I had to move around a bit to release trapped air due to the location of the inflator/deflator valve. At first I would do the wiggle dance coupled with going head down and venting the rear to going heads up to vent via the deflator hose. After a while I got used to it and would move automatically, it then became a non-issue and the difficulty seemed to go away. Just make sure you are holding the corrugated hose high enough for air to escape.

Grouper
    have you tried beano?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information