Thread: 1st nite dives, do as specialty?

Shark

Question 1st nite dives, do as specialty?

We are going to GC in 10(yes 10) days- have unlimited shore diving as part of package-thinking might be worth it to do 3 night dives as specialty because:
    1-will have experienced night diver(DM) with us, and we have never dived in the area or at night
    2-specialty costs as much as getting a guide for 3 dives
    3-low volume of guests doesn't guarantee finding a suitable buddy(ie someone who is sober and has real experience-would hate to feel need to look at their logbook
    4-after 3 dives with DM should be able to navigate house reef comfortably by ourselves on last 2 nights
    any thoughts?

Grouper
    Images
    I'm a fairly cautious guy. If I was doing my first night dive of any kind - I would want a guide. If the cost of the guide is the same as a specialty dive class, why not squeeze some extra education out of it.

Enjoy your vacation,

ray
    Slowly exhale, relax, your brain will kick in...and if you can breath and think calmly, there's not too much you can't figure out, in any part of life.

Shark
    Ditto, if the cost is the same as having a guide, you might as well get a little training.
    Matt Silvia

Barracuda Founding Member
    Images
    I'm always an advocate of having a guide or DM, when in doubt, or unfamiliar waters. In fact I'm rarely on my own in the ocean without some sort of guide. However, that being said, we did a night dive off of a boat on Sunset Reef in GC, and we did not have any problems finding our way. First, the visibility was great so we had no trouble finding the boat's flashing beacon. Second, we went with a big group, so it was always easy to spot other divers by their lights, and Third, it was so shallow (25-30 feet), that we could always pop our head up and get re-oriented if we really needed to. Also the reef area where we did the dive was not that big and had some very recognizeable features. I would imagine that if you have a good flashing beacon for the entry/exit point and a compass, you will not have any issues navigating your way on most house reefs. Of course these are famous last words.

On the other hand, it was nice having a DM on the boat to prep us, and also to point out some things to look for, and interesting things to do (or not do) on the dive, like feeding blood worms to anemones, where the local turtles sleep, the parrot fish nest, etc.

Barracuda
    Images
    Go for it. Heck. You might even LEARN something from the class.
    - Fisheater

Barracuda
    I say take the class if you've never night dove and it costs the same as the guide. Even with a night diving cert, I'd be hesitant to jump into dark waters I'd never been in on my own the first time (on own meaning without someone who knows the area).

Shark
    update- glad we took the class, yes, did learn more than a few things and it was a good feeling to be able to plan and execute our dive on final night including navigating exactly back to entry point, being spot on with estimated air consumption and even dealing with primary dive light failure(intentional sabotage on DI's part to see how we handled situation?)

Megalodon
    Images
    Glad to know it went well. Had the same light problem too. It was a fun course.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Thread Information