Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Could not believe they did that.

Shark
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by navyhmc View Post
    Amen Brother Coastie!!!

Confuse the hell out of 'em, mention stand-on and give-way....

I was smart enough to take the Coast Guard's small boat handling class years ago. The red and green lights are so easy, it ain't funny. If you can see the red light, they have right-of-way. If you see green, you have right-of -way. If you see both, you're on a collision course and you need to turn right!
    Red right return.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    Yeah, right after I posted that I read that many lake divers use pontoon boats for dive platforms... (insert foot in mouth).

They are godawful ugly though =)

-B
    We are big pontoon fans up here in MI. I have used them to stage dives off of. As Navyhmc said its function over looks. I relate them to my husband (ugly as sin but practical in many situations).

Megalodon
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Skred View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastie6 View Post
    Lesson to be learned here, treat all boaters, divers, hunters, drivers etc. as if they are idiots until they prove otherwise.
    As a good friend of mine freqently says, "Assume they're stupid and remember that there is no cure for stupid".
    I would say boaters are on the same level as drivers. They start out every trip with "Hey look, it's <insert weather condition/lake condition/time of day/day of week/assorted other reasons>!!! I can boat like a frickin idiot!!!!!" i.e. Hey, look a dive flag! I can boat like a frickin idiot!!!!

Close to the truth, more's the pity.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastie6 View Post
    A sad reality I came to early on is, owning a boat only proves only one thing, you have enough money to purchase one. That's amplified 10-fold in S Florida where there is more money than sense.

Now move inland and well, "seamanship" takes on a whole new meaning. I enjoy telling people here about those "little red and green light thingies" and just what they mean regarding right-of-way, I don't even mention port and starboard.

Lesson to be learned here, treat all boaters, divers, hunters, drivers etc. as if they are idiots until they prove otherwise.
    Hey anit Port some kinda wine? and anit Starbord and new coffe shop?

Shark Founding Member
    Enid, Oklahoma (no longer living the desert life)
    Images
    I have run boaters and jetskis out of the dive park at Tenkiller on several occasions. They will drive right between the "no boats" markers, and up to the shore. Way, WAY too many boaters have no clue about boating regs, and there are far too few lake enforcement officers. The worst offenders are the ones who rent the boats, they don't give a crap about anyone or anything else on the water. I know that there are some good, knowledgable renters/operators but I haven't seen one yet. When I see rental fleet numbers on the side, I get the hell away becuase they don't know what to do.

I really just wish boaters knew which side to pass on. Too many times I vear away from oncoming boats only to have them turn back into my path.

And If I had been on the shore when THAT boat came up, between the dive flags, there would have been some serious words and probably a fight.
    Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlane View Post
    I say we just commandeer the boat and make it into a nice dive boat!
    Dive boat, or dive site...
    Matt Silvia

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by MSilvia View Post

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by obrules15 View Post
    I second that.....it seems like the group was being careless....

-mith

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by bigman241 View Post
    well here that would get youa reckless endagerment charge. Issue two the seats there sitting in is not legal boating seats but lawn chairs. They could easyly get a good 50 to 100 ticket per person. 12 people on a boat properly rated for 10 i had two of these boat nither would hold 12 and one was bigger. Three or four not sure. The kids on the front are not in sits and are over the rail. Not allowed another two tickets. possiable reckless charge per kid. Dang i guest where up to 1200 or more in seat tickets properly a few hundrad for the dive flag. Plus a few hundrad more for the no boats sign. Plus a few years of the driver for reckless endangerment. Guest after that courtcase they could buy a bouy line.
    Not always true Bigman. I think as it was stated, it is based on region.

In Michigan, I have been on plenty of cabin cruisers that do not have built-in chairs behind the cockpit, but rather folding lawn chairs. They call them "Deck" Chairs on the fancy high-tooting boats.

It is really not uncommon to find non-secured seating on pontoon boats on the smaller Michigan lakes.
    No one has ever retold valiant stories of logic - for all good stories are driven by emotion and the spirit.

Grouper

It would make a sweet dive site!!!
    Say When....

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information