Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon unveils PowerShot G11 high-end compact

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images

Arrow Canon unveils PowerShot G11 high-end compact

Wednesday, 19 August 2009
    Canon unveils PowerShot G11 high-end compact
    Pre-IFA 2009: Canon has announced a handful of compact cameras including models aimed squarely at keen photographers. Top of the line is the PowerShot G11, successor to its flagship PowerShot G10 compact released last year. The G11 replaces the G10's 14.7MP sensor with what it describes as a high sensitivity 10 MP CCD though it still uses the same 28-140mm equivalent stabilized lens. The camera also gains a tilt and swivel LCD, though the size drops to 2.8 inches. Flash sync speed increases to 1/2000th of a second and HDMI output is also added. Other features include Dual Anti-Noise System (more sensitive sensor and Digic 4 offering a claimed 2-stop improvement over the G10), RAW shooting and P/A/S/M shooting modes. (13:00 GMT)
    DevilDiver

Grouper
    Images
    Man.....I haven't even caught up to the G9....
    Really.....Need to live near the ocean.....

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Glad I put off buying a G10.

Geez, are they coming out with new models annually, though? That's excessive... housing manufacturers are going to have a rough time.

I HATE that they made the LCD smaller, though. Ugh.

Images

Professional photographers will benefit from the G11ís greatly expanded dynamic range. Canonís new Dual Anti-Noise System combines a high sensitivity 10.0 Megapixel image sensor with Canonís enhanced DIGIC 4 image processing technology to increase image quality and greatly improve noise performance by up to 2 stops (compared to PowerShot G10). The PowerShot G11 also includes i-Contrast technology, which prevents high-light blowout whilst retaining low-light detail Ė ideal for difficult lighting situations.

The premium quality Canon lens delivers picture-perfect performance, offering a 5x wide angle (28mm) zoom with optical Image Stabilizer (IS). This allows handheld shots to be taken at much slower shutter speeds (4-stops) than conventional non-IS models - allowing perfect shooting in darker conditions or at a lower ISO. Greatly reducing blur caused by camera shake, photographers can shoot at longer focal lengths and in lower light conditions without the need for a tripod.

Underwater photographers can even team the PowerShot G11 with the specially designed Waterproof Case WP-DC34 - an underwater housing allowing full control of the camera at depths down to 40m.
    DevilDiver

Oooohhh... they also released the S90, finally bringing back their S-series cameras! I can finally update my S80 without going to a drastically bulkier camera! I'll have to look into these closely...

Funeral Jorunna
    Yeah if you are underwater who cares that the LCD swivels I'd rather have the bigger LCD.
    If you get confused listen to the music play.
    To much of everything is just enough.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chinacat46 View Post
    Yeah if you are underwater who cares that the LCD swivels I'd rather have the bigger LCD.

Could be useful topside but maybe not......... Really it is only 2/10" difference.

If you want a better view U/W of the LCD try looking at a magnifying hood for the housing.

or

I use the one with the eyepiece and really like it, great for macro and it makes you look at the LCD like a view finder on a SLR.
    DevilDiver

Grouper
    The G11 and new S90 have a much improved sensor for lower noise, higher ISO capability and improved dynamic range. The S90 also has a f2.0 lens which is nearly a full stop faster than the old fashioned G10 and coupled with the greatly improved ISO range will allow nice natural light wide angle photos. The S90 looks like the better camera.

N

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDiver View Post
    Could be useful topside but maybe not......... Really it is only 2/10" difference.
    Topside it could be useful in certain limited situations.

Currently my LCD is 2.5". The jump to 3.0" is noticeably bigger. The .3" jump to 2.8" is still bigger, but not as much. I'd definitely rather have that extra .2".

That said, the S90 is calling me a bit more. We'll have to see (a) how the housing situation works out, since Canon doesn't seem to offer one, although they did for the S80, and they do for the G9/10/11, and (b) how well the new control dial works out inside a housing.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by CompuDude View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilDiver View Post
    Topside it could be useful in certain limited situations.

Currently my LCD is 2.5". The jump to 3.0" is noticeably bigger. The .3" jump to 2.8" is still bigger, but not as much. I'd definitely rather have that extra .2".

That said, the S90 is calling me a bit more. We'll have to see (a) how the housing situation works out, since Canon doesn't seem to offer one, although they did for the S80, and they do for the G9/10/11, and (b) how well the new control dial works out inside a housing.
    Canon offers one for the S90, it is the DC35, it is on the accessory page, check it out.

N

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information