Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will be doing first night dive over labor day...

Grouper

Will be doing first night dive over labor day...

Looking forward to it, my buddies have told me just how incredible it is...have dove the reefs in Cozumel during the day we will be hitting at night so it will be fun to see what new shows up. Larry hooked me up with a light package, so I think I am ready to go...will have pics and report after...BR

Barracuda Founding Member
    Night dives are great. I prefer them often to day dives on a reef. A whole different set of life comes out at night.

Grouper
    You will love night diving. It's never pitch black - the moon and stars cast a lot of light. Just think about when you're outside at night - you can still see.

But at some point during your dive - maybe on your safety stop, turn off your flashlight and wave your arm. You will see the bioluminescence, like green pixie dust. It is magic.
    "The sea is not out to get you. It does not even know you exist."

THE Supreme Master Spammer Founding Member
    And since sharks feed at night, good chance you'll see some. They are attracted to the lights.
    Tim "The Star and Crescent shall not be worn by every man, but only by him who is worthy to wear it. He must be a gentleman... a man of honor and courage... a man of zeal, yet humble... an intelligent man...a man of truth... one who tempers action with wisdom and, above all else, one who walks in the light of God."

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Splitlip View Post
    And since sharks feed at night, good chance you'll see some. They are attracted to the lights.
    Good to know, so the brighter the light, the better the dive?

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BRsnow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Splitlip View Post
    Good to know, so the brighter the light, the better the dive?
    Not really, the bright lights just make it hadder to see everything outside the light so everything else is black.

Thats what makes it cool when the Barricuda come shooting in over your shoulder and snatch the reef fish you had your light on.
    DevilDiver

Grouper
    you guys - STOP IT. Although DD does make a good point. When you shine your light on some creature remember its predators can see it, too. So be mindful of how long you're looking at that little fishy. It might become someone's mid-night snack (thanks to you) if you're not careful.

BR - trust me, you will be hooked. Night dives are amazing. You will see so much ... don't forget to check your gauges as it's easy to lose track of time, depth, air ....
    "The sea is not out to get you. It does not even know you exist."

Grouper
    I am not worried and appreciate the banter...I love the water and have done a bunch of travel...so I am a bit adventurous...However I live in CO and I hike and mountain bike in the Rockies....I have a far better chance of getting it from a mountain lion than I do a shark...either way I appreciate having saw a mountian lion and enjoy the shark encounters thus far even though they have been only nurse sharks...BR

TadPole
    Have fun! I actually enjoy a good night dive over a daylight dive due to all the life that comes out. Brighter lights aren't always better, just get one that suits your needs, which you'll see after a few night dives.

Megalodon
    Images
    AS Jet said, you will either like night diving and will be hooked or you'll come away thinking "not for me". I love them and hope you havea great dive and many more! And since you posted about it, we expect a dive report!!!! (please....)

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information