Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Miflex Hoses

Barracuda
    The only real complaints Ive heard are the 6" hose being more difficult to keep in position on stage/deco bottles and the long hose flapping around during scootering or a few people having difficuly with it staying under a can light. I don't scooter and I use a regular 6" hose so I can't comment on either those. I use an older big and bulky wreck can light and I haven't had any issues with my hoses coming out from under it. I'm sure the size of the canister may make a difference. When I dive without my can light I stuff the hose under my harness waist strap and have yet to have it come loose at all.

I've been using a 7' & 22" hose with my doubles and a 5" & 22" hose with singles for the about a year and have had zero issues or complaints. I'm extremely happy with them and they route fine and lay flatter than the other hoses I used did.

Megalodon
    Images
    I have seen a few tec's with them, they say they fit wel within the DIR realm as they are reportedly higher pressure tested and more durable.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Guppy
    I'll add this disclaimer first - I've learned the hard way all too many times, if it's not DIR compatible, at some point, I'll regret the decision, maybe later on down the road as I learn more about diving, however....

I bought a 6in HP hose as I had a old style rubber one crack on me and the local dive shop only had miflex hoses. I have my stage bottle DIR rigged, so I guess I can comment on it after tomorrow. Doing a double stage dive with o2, so I'll have 2 bottles with the old school ones and one bottle with the new 6in miflex hose. I would have preferred letting someone else do the beta testing, but I wasn't going to let that stand between me and a cave dive

At first install, I'm more impressed than I thought I'd be, they're VERY flexible, and virtually no strain is being put on the connection because of that. Really, you could easily use a 4in HP miflex hose on a stage from what I saw today and STILL have less tension on the hose. It feels more durable than the rubber hose, but nothing scientific about that. I always tie my stage SPG's back very tight, so I don't think I'll have an issue with flapping, but I'll test it first to see.

They seem very slick, I can easily see them not staying put under stage bands or a can light.

Anyways, my LDS wanted $25 for the 6in hose, so I figured it's worth a shot. I'll post back soon, better get some sleep, got a 3+ hour dive ahead of me tomorrow (whohooo!)!

FWIW Here's a few links
    Miflex Hoses - DIR Explorers
    Miflex Extreme-hi - DIR Explorers
    The Deco Stop
    The Deco Stop
    http://jamesg.net
    -James Garrett

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    I'm sure you've read my posts on TDS (and even here), but I'll reiterate my "buy" rating on miflex hoses.

THAT SAID.

I don't see much point for the HP hoses on a DIR rig. Stick with rubber. I can see the application on a stage bottle, but the "floppy" complaint I'm reading does give me pause. It depends on how you rig your stages, though... some configurations are more affected than others. For the SPG, however, I think I like a little thickness and stiffness in the hose, so it behaves more predictably when clipping and unclipping to check pressure.

For the LP inflator, drysuit, and necklaced secondary, I don't think I'll ever buy another rubber hose. I go back and forth a bit on the long hose, but overall I like it.

No need to replace perfectly good rubber hoses with Miflex unless you just feel like spending money. But as they need replacing anyway, at replacement time I say go for it.

Megalodon
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CompuDude View Post
    I'm sure you've read my posts on TDS (and even here), but I'll reiterate my "buy" rating on miflex hoses.

No need to replace perfectly good rubber hoses with Miflex unless you just feel like spending money. But as they need replacing anyway, at replacement time I say go for it.
    That's my plan....

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Guppy
    OK, did a dive today....just over 2.5 hrs in the water, and the most annoying part of it was the part that I was on the stage with the miflex hose. It doesn't stick out enough, it lays back up against the 1st stage so that it's more difficult to read the SPG. I'll deal with it if the hose is more reliable, but it's def annoying.
    -James Garrett

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by jj1987 View Post
    OK, did a dive today....just over 2.5 hrs in the water, and the most annoying part of it was the part that I was on the stage with the miflex hose. It doesn't stick out enough, it lays back up against the 1st stage so that it's more difficult to read the SPG. I'll deal with it if the hose is more reliable, but it's def annoying.
    not sure why they'd be more reliable
    ur talking about the HP hose?

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by LiteHedded View Post
    Yeah, I'll try to post a picture tonight so I can show you how much less strain is on the hose. It's a huge difference. When I was at cow springs a few weeks back, we had a stage crap out on us because the hose cracked, I'm guessing because of the stress on the hose.
    -James Garrett

Grouper
    Yeah, I'll try to post a picture tonight so I can show you how much less strain is on the hose. It's a huge difference. When I was at cow springs a few weeks back, we had a stage crap out on us because the hose cracked, I'm guessing because of the stress on the hose.
    ive had a few stage failures because of the hp host but it's always been the spool or an o ring or something. how many stages did you take in to cow exactly?

Guppy
    ive had a few stage failures because of the hp host but it's always been the spool or an o ring or something. how many stages did you take in to cow exactly?
    You can get a stage in there, just have to unclip it and push it ahead of you at times
    -James Garrett

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information