Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: secondary on mask?

Grouper

secondary on mask?

My secondary light has the mask attachment option, curious on others thoughts on this. I don't think I will put it on there as I think it might bother me more than help. What benefits to having it on?

Being able to attach a secondary light to your mask lets you free your hands. It is sort of the equivalent of a helmet with a light on it that coal miners would use.

Grouper
    I've used mine in the pool only and it was OK. That being said I would still use another light for the primary and carry a more suitable secondary light and think of the mask mounted light as an assistant to the primary.

THE Supreme Master Spammer Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tk trekers View Post
    I've used mine in the pool only and it was OK. That being said I would still use another light for the primary and carry a more suitable secondary light and think of the mask mounted light as an assistant to the primary.
    agree
    Tim "The Star and Crescent shall not be worn by every man, but only by him who is worthy to wear it. He must be a gentleman... a man of honor and courage... a man of zeal, yet humble... an intelligent man...a man of truth... one who tempers action with wisdom and, above all else, one who walks in the light of God."

THE Supreme Master Spammer Founding Member
    Fact is...I would not be inclined to put anything on my mask.
    Tim "The Star and Crescent shall not be worn by every man, but only by him who is worthy to wear it. He must be a gentleman... a man of honor and courage... a man of zeal, yet humble... an intelligent man...a man of truth... one who tempers action with wisdom and, above all else, one who walks in the light of God."

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images
    I would not attach a light to my mask. First off every time you looked at a diver you would be shinning the light right in their face, also if it attached to the strap it would flop around (especially in a current) and could break the seal causing the mask to leak.

As far as a secondary or back up light it should kept where it can be reached if needed by either hand and clipped off and restrained so it does not dangle.
    DevilDiver

I don't think putting a light on your mask makes sense. Because you may blind people, because it may make your mask leak. And because i think you'll have a hard time shining it where you really want without killing your neck. When you hold a light in your hand you can move it to the side and sweep it around, but follow it partly with just your eyes rather than jerking your head all over the place.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Damselfish View Post
    I don't think putting a light on your mask makes sense. Because you may blind people, because it may make your mask leak. And because i think you'll have a hard time shining it where you really want without killing your neck. When you hold a light in your hand you can move it to the side and sweep it around, but follow it partly with just your eyes rather than jerking your head all over the place.
    I agree completely, hence the reason mine was only used in the pool.

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilDiver View Post
    I would not attach a light to my mask. First off every time you looked at a diver you would be shinning the light right in their face, also if it attached to the strap it would flop around (especially in a current) and could break the seal causing the mask to leak.

As far as a secondary or back up light it should kept where it can be reached if needed by either hand and clipped off and restrained so it does not dangle.
    We have a winner!

(Solo cave divers may have other viewpoints on head-mounted lights, but for most, I don't think they're the right answer.)

TadPole

A headlight could be better alternative

I would personally prefer a headlight as a backup unit. A light attached to a mask possibly makes your mask leak. Headlight also gives you the opportunity to use them on your wrist or hand.
    Last edited by zobarak; 09-17-2009 at 00:05. Reason: Clarification

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information