Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dangerous situation with dive gear

TadPole

Dangerous situation with dive gear

Did anyone of you had a bad experience, dangerous situation with your dive gear while diving? Like a burst hose, loose regulator cover, yoke loose, etc

Megalodon
    Images
    Several: I've had a yoke o-ring burst while on a dive. A pretty good stream of bubbles to say the least. No biggie, turn the dive, take buddy to surface. I was able to breath my tank all the way up with about 200 psi left when we broke waves.

A resort trip I did, I had a faulty power inflator that leaked. Again, no biggie: Just disconected it and reconnected it when I needed a little extra air in the BC.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Barracuda
    Images
    Leaking internal o-ring on tank "pro valve," twice. Not fast leaks, just had to turn dive and make normal ascent.

I also had my primary reg hose partially unthread itself from my first stage. Lots of bubbles. Of course that happened just I'd been grabbed by the kelp monster and my instabuddy kept on going. I had enough time to untangle myself and make a normal ascent. After a long surface swim back to shore and wrenching the hose securely, I still got a dive in on that tank.
    - Fisheater

Barracuda
    I have had my mouthpiece come off my reg.

Barracuda Founding Member
    Wife had a part fall off of her 2nd stage, discovered during setup. Also had a few 2nd stage adjustment problems.

But that was years ago before I started DIY. No problems since.

Barracuda
    Images
    Had a shop put a new mouth piece on my reg while diving Coz. While on the dive, on the exhale the reg shot off the mouth piece. Good thing I did not inhale. Grabbed the reg and put it back in the mouth piece, used it for a while holding onto the reg, switched to my octo, put the mouth piece in my pocket and kept on diving. I did try breathing off the reg with no mouth piece and that worked just fine as well, just tough on the teeth.

Note: I should have closely inspected the wire tie myself. The shop guy only tightened it with his fingers and did not give it an extra pull with a pair of pliers. (probably didn't even have pliers). My bad. Wont happen again.

Guppy
    Lost the little toggle on my wing's dump valve once. No danger, just an annoyance. Replaced it with a keychain bottle opener.

Second OW check out dive in 46 degree quarry water... diving at about 40ft and the regulator/mouthpiece began to leak SIGNIFICANT amounts of very cold water. Each breath was mostly water with a tiny bit of air. First instinct (of course) was to head for the surface - but I calmed down, recognized that I still was getting air and was not going to drown, and switched to my octo.
    I was pretty proud of myself at the time for being able to overcome the initial panic and solve the problem. Naturally I got a different regulator for the rest of the dives.
    -Aaron

Barracuda
    Lets see, what is the best to start with - maybe the pull dump that self destructed with the diver in double 100's? Maybe the screwed up threads on the 2nd stage hose that left my o2 2nd stage reg near the Sandusky in the straights of Mackinac? How about the failed dry suit zipper that was ever so much fun in 50 degree water. Flooded Can light (halogen at least)? Maybe this one - the valve knob that was over torqued and broke off in my hand on the boat with the air partially on?

Gear malfunctions - especially when people are involved. Its a fact of life. None of the cases above resulted in much more than a learning moment for me. (and a lot of cursing). Most of the repairs were pretty cheap or expected (dry suit). I've seen quite a bit with my friends and dive buddies but none of it was what I would call dangerous.

Now - I have seen other groups do nasty things with things like free-flows or stuck inflators. (few bent divers and a couple who died)

There is another thread about the woman at Dutch Springs who had a gear issue. May she rest in peace and may we all learn from her mistakes so we don't repeat them. Most issues need not be more than an inconvience - if we practice our skills we were taught.

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    I've had a few issues. Stuck drysuit inflator, stuck drysuit exhaust valve, leaky power inflator valve, blown HP O ring to name a few. None of them resulted in problems because I had been taught how to deal with them.

To be honest, the most annoying one was the exhaust valve sticking and not dumping air.
    Matthew P. Cummings
    Moberly MO

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information