Thread: Japan divers unite

Grouper
    Images

Japan divers unite

A little bird mentioned that there are a lot of "us" on the board here. Let's hear it folks. Who's here, where are you from, where do you dive, and where are you in Japan?

Me first then:
    I live in beautiful Nagoya, Japan. That's in Central Honshu, in Aichi Prefecture. Nagoya is famous for ugly women, rude/cheap people, and good food. I'm ok with the girls here, but think the other two are spot on. I'm such a racist! Anyway, I've been here for six years so it's not all bad. I'm from Oakland, California (fear not, Raeder will not hurt or harm you). I've been diving once here, but find it cheaper and better in the Philippines and Saipan. I'll be heading for Thailand and Palau as well next year (hopefully). And you?

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RikRaeder View Post
    A little bird mentioned that there are a lot of "us" on the board here. Let's hear it folks. Who's here, where are you from, where do you dive, and where are you in Japan?

Me first then:
    I live in beautiful Nagoya, Japan. That's in Central Honshu, in Aichi Prefecture. Nagoya is famous for ugly women, rude/cheap people, and good food. I'm ok with the girls here, but think the other two are spot on. I'm such a racist! Anyway, I've been here for six years so it's not all bad. I'm from Oakland, California (fear not, Raeder will not hurt or harm you). I've been diving once here, but find it cheaper and better in the Philippines and Saipan. I'll be heading for Thailand and Palau as well next year (hopefully). And you?
    I live in Yokosuka, Japan home of the US Navy Seventh Fleet. I've been here since January. I'm in the dive club on the base which has some very active members we dive pretty much every week. I could probably dive 2-3 times a week if I had a better work schedule :-) We're diving mostly at Hayama. Visibility isn't bad (10-20 feet), but certainly not what it is in the "tropical" destinations. I've been told visibility will be much better in the winter time (50ft+) but of course I will have to purchase dry suit :-)) We have a trip planned to Izu the end of next month.

I haven't heard to much about Saipan. I'll have to research that. I did go diving in the Philippines in May and am planning another trip there sometime towards the end of October or early November. I have a friend headed to Phuket in February who has invited me to go with him. Says they have some nice diving there as well :-)
    Bill
    Just killing time during my surface interval ;-)
    "If it's too cold for a 3mm, it's cold enough for a drysuit!"

TadPole
    i live on the northwest side of tokyo..go down to the izu peninsula about once a month...osezaki is a pretty good spot for dive training and fairly low threat dives. see a decent amount of marine life too...vis is variable, this last weekend it was 20-30 ft most the time. the only problem is that since it is a good training location a lot of japanese frequent the spot and the like to kick up a lot of slit it seems. i hear oshima is a good dive spot near tokyo, but everything is a bit pricey.

TadPole

Yokosuka

I live in Yokosuka, stationed on the USS Cowpens, i havn't been diving in the Yoko area but i have been to Okinawa, Saipan, and Guam.

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DGSPEAR View Post
    i live on the northwest side of tokyo..go down to the izu peninsula about once a month...osezaki is a pretty good spot for dive training and fairly low threat dives. see a decent amount of marine life too...vis is variable, this last weekend it was 20-30 ft most the time. the only problem is that since it is a good training location a lot of japanese frequent the spot and the like to kick up a lot of slit it seems. i hear oshima is a good dive spot near tokyo, but everything is a bit pricey.
    We were in Izu the last weekend in September. Vis was 50+ feet. Really nice time... check out my photos if you get a chance.
    Bill

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    I live in Yokosuka, stationed on the USS Cowpens, i havn't been diving in the Yoko area but i have been to Okinawa, Saipan, and Guam.
    You'll have to come over to dive club on base. PM me and I'll give you my number. Lot's of good diving here in Japan :-)
    Bill

TadPole
    I'll be in Okinawa about mid-January time frame. Anyone else on "The Rock"?
    The voices told me to stay home and clean the guns.

Grouper
    Images
    I'm at Yokota Air Base, just outside of Tokyo. Dive mostly on the Izu here, went over to Kumomi last summer. Just got back from a trip to Australia that was awesome.

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
    I'm at Yokota Air Base, just outside of Tokyo. Dive mostly on the Izu here, went over to Kumomi last summer. Just got back from a trip to Australia that was awesome.
    You should come over and dive with us sometime. We have temporary memberships. We dive Hayama a lot and we're going to Izu next weekend. Send me a PM if you're interested and I'll give you my number...
    Bill

Grouper
    Images
    We've got a fairly active scuba club here at Yokota also. Maybe we could try getting both clubs together sometime.

Thread Information