Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Underwater Ruins - Yonaguni, Japan

Grouper
    Images

Exclamation Underwater Ruins - Yonaguni, Japan

This claim has been around for a long while, but I just caught this story:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/A...ow/2316128.cms

Scientific opinion is divided on these "ruins," and from what I've seen on several documentaries, I'm skeptical yet still trained to (try) and be open minded. Has anyone dived there and if so what were your perceptions (please explain)? I'm planning on taking a look for myself before I cash out of the land of the rising sun but am interested in others' thoughts (if you've been there or not). I thought this story was a real crack up. There is no new evidence, and yet the claims seem to be growing exponentially more grandiose. Questions, comments, observations?

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RikRaeder View Post
    This claim has been around for a long while, but I just caught this story:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/A...ow/2316128.cms

Scientific opinion is divided on these "ruins," and from what I've seen on several documentaries, I'm skeptical yet still trained to (try) and be open minded. Has anyone dived there and if so what were your perceptions (please explain)? I'm planning on taking a look for myself before I cash out of the land of the rising sun but am interested in others' thoughts (if you've been there or not). I thought this story was a real crack up. There is no new evidence, and yet the claims seem to be growing exponentially more grandiose. Questions, comments, observations?
    Seems to be evidence to support both theories. I'm like you... I would like to go and look for myself :-)
    Last edited by Bill22; 08-30-2007 at 10:10. Reason: typo
    Bill
    Just killing time during my surface interval ;-)
    "If it's too cold for a 3mm, it's cold enough for a drysuit!"

Guppy
    Images
    I would love to go, and I'm closer than most, but it's cost prohibitive. Maybe I can sweet talk the wife into selling her car...
    Whatever doesn't kill me...usually hurts alot and tends to pi$$ me off.

TadPole
    has anyone went and dove this yet? just wondering if its worth the money or not...

TadPole
    2005, me and my wife went down there for 2 nights and 3 days and ferried ride it back (long 10 hour ride and interesting). Great dives. You look at the pictures and say "hey, they look cool", but up front and personal. No contest. Personally, I think that was one outstanding dive. It cost us Y65,000 ($600). You might be able to find a cheaper package online or try a couple of these websites: Scuba Gear and Scuba Diving Equipment - Discount dive gear or DIVING SCHOOL UMICOZA - Manta ray watching - Ishigaki island in Japan -.
    tickle us, do we not laugh? prick us, do we not

bleed? wrong us, shall we not revenge?

Merchant
    of Venice

TadPole
    Forgot one thing, if those websites can't help, try going through JAL. They might have a package for the Yonaguni ruins dive trip. If you are thinking about going this time of year, NOT good. Lots of current running in that area. If you DO go this time of year they preferred that you bring a Paddle style fin or Jet fins. Okinawans and Japanese are more comfortable with either types compared to split fins when comes to diving in currents. Of course take your c-cards and log book. Computer obviously help with memory logs but they also want to see hard copies. FYI
    tickle us, do we not laugh? prick us, do we not

bleed? wrong us, shall we not revenge?

Merchant
    of Venice

TadPole
    what time of year would you recommend going?

Grouper
    A Thousand Miles From Nowhere...in Saitama
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by okidiver View Post
    Forgot one thing, if those websites can't help, try going through JAL. They might have a package for the Yonaguni ruins dive trip. If you are thinking about going this time of year, NOT good. Lots of current running in that area. If you DO go this time of year they preferred that you bring a Paddle style fin or Jet fins. Okinawans and Japanese are more comfortable with either types compared to split fins when comes to diving in currents. Of course take your c-cards and log book. Computer obviously help with memory logs but they also want to see hard copies. FYI
    Does JAL do other dive trip packages? I've gotten so used to ANA that I've almost forsaken JAL for good. Especially after their maintenance track record a couple years ago....

Are there local operators for Yonaguni, or are you better off going through a Naha dive shop (trip), or an Ishigaki shop? One would, of course, be using Japanese. That's a given, and no worries.

Just wondering, as I'm thinking about trying to dive Yonaguni when I go to Japan on home leave, inshallah next summer.
    Last edited by namabiru; 12-13-2007 at 23:38. Reason: Oops.
    A Thousand Miles From Nowhere
    http://namabiru.********.com

Grouper
    Images
    My gf finds awesome prices for all our dive travel through Yahoo Travel (Japan). Air, Air and Hotel, Air/Hotel/Diving. She finds all kinds of sweet deals (relatively speaking). Keep in mind that Japanese companies generally charge double.
    Point in case: when we went to Cebu, she found a delectable deal on air, 5-star hotel and two days of diving. We dove with a Japanese dive shop, of course. For the third day, we priced a 2-tank trip to Nalassuon (sp) Sanctuary and a third afternoon dive. Japanese shop: $140/person. Scubaworld (not-Japanese shop) priced at $70/person for the exact same dive day. This has been my experience throughout Asia (with one or two notable exceptions eg: Seashore Diving in Saipan).
    I'd think one would be stuck paying Japanese prices for Yonaguni, and although I've sworn off Okinawa, I'll have to make one more trip to Yonaguni just to see for myself.

Grouper
    A Thousand Miles From Nowhere...in Saitama
    Images
    You might ring Blue Zone in Naha... I dived with them when I went to Okinawa, and their service was really good. Nice people, good equipment, good boat, very professional. I don't know if they do long-haul trips or not, but they could probably tell you who would. I checked all through the site but didn't see anything listed.
    沖縄のダイビングショップBLUEZONE
    Last edited by namabiru; 01-14-2008 at 10:49. Reason: link didn't post right
    A Thousand Miles From Nowhere
    http://namabiru.********.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information