Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer wont shut off after dive

Guppy
    Images
    well ill keep everyone up to date on how long the battery lasts

Grouper
    Expect about 30 full cycles before having to change the battery

Grouper
    Honestly you don't need to worry about battery drain from the computer staying on this amount of time. As stated above, batteries are cheap, so replace them annually with your reg inspection. Most manufacturer's state that they are good for two years, but why not play it safe. No sense in having one go down during a week long trip and loosing all of your nitrogen loading info.

Grouper
    If you really want to turn it off, the reset feature (page 44 in the manual) will do it. Of course, it will also erase all the dive data, so make sure you've transferred any info and you don't plan to do any more repetitive dives.

The battery does seem to last a long time; I must have 50-60 dives (usually only 1 or two per activation) on the original battery with my XR-1...

Grand Master Spammer
    Correct about the reset function. After every dive day, I log my dives, then clear the computer (which also powers it off). I just put in a new battery, checked my log book, and the old one lasted 78 dives/16 months.

Grouper
    Images
    my veo 100 does this and the battery lasts years...

I will mention this...on my veo 100 not all cr2450 are created equal, the ones at radio shack last me years, the ones at walmart last me months.

I always pack an extra just in case (on trips)
    Slowly exhale, relax, your brain will kick in...and if you can breath and think calmly, there's not too much you can't figure out, in any part of life.

Grand Master Spammer
    Quote Originally Posted by rayaa3 View Post
    my veo 100 does this and the battery lasts years...

I will mention this...on my veo 100 not all cr2450 are created equal, the ones at radio shack last me years, the ones at walmart last me months.

I always pack an extra just in case (on trips)

Seeing the amount of dives you have, and your battery last for "years"?....
    How many years?
    Seriously, as long as you buy the Sony batteries, they're pretty much the same. Other brands probably last just as long, but I don't know.

Grouper
    Images
    I started diving in 2006, my current battery is 2 years strong. Oddly the one that came with it only lasted months...my first replacement lasted weeks before blinking low then I got a replacement from radioshack...that's been in there 2 years.

I don't get to dive much in ok, but I make the most of the mud holes here, and try to make 2 dive trips a year...
    Slowly exhale, relax, your brain will kick in...and if you can breath and think calmly, there's not too much you can't figure out, in any part of life.

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaToys Larry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by db83 View Post
    There's got to be some kind of button hold combination that turns it off. 24 hours is a long time for that battery to be draining.
    Battery to be draining?? Have you ever seen a digital watch? A LCD screen requires virtually no power. It would go for years just lighting up a screen... don't worry about 24 hours.
    Larry is right. The battery in your average digital watch lasts 5 years. The 2 days your computer remains on (doing a simple count-down until 48 hours have passed and all Nitrogen has been cleared) is nothing. It's supposed to do that. Whether the display is on or not is irrelevant, an LCD like that uses almost no power to maintain a display, it's the backlight that sucks down juice.

Shark
    I'll put it in perspective for everyone a little... the Geo computer, which is similar in function, but smaller than the VEO/XR series of computers, is a wristwatch style computer - it functions as a watch until it gets in the water, when it turns on the dive functions...

lithium battery quality is all over the place, with some lasting twice as long as others, even from the same package at times... that being said, I typically get 200ish dives out of one battery... I've gotten as few as 100 and as many as 250 out of a single battery... I do not pre-emptively change them, I do have 8 spares right now, ready to go when needed... when functioning as a wrist watch, as mentioned, there is relatively little battery being used... what sucks up the battery is the pressure and temperature sensors... did you know that any time the battery is in the computer, a small amount is being drained - the button on the front signals an IC to wake up - in the mean time, that IC is always drawing a little power waiting for that signal... it is like a new personal computer versus old - old pc's had a hard wired switch that worked like a light switch, new computers have a switch that signals to an IC that tells it to wake up... the dive computer works like a new pc in that effect...
    -cody / on vacation from vacation...
    PADI MSDT Instructor, US Coast Guard Captain - Master Near Coastal

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information