Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sanitary Pads in your housing?!?!

Barracuda
    Images
    DevilDiver,
    If your housing springs a leak and those little pads become soaked, do you think they will swell up enough to make your housing explode or just crush your camera?

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SEMO Scuba View Post
    DevilDiver,
    If your housing springs a leak and those little pads become soaked, do you think they will swell up enough to make your housing explode or just crush your camera?

Well I hear these things can hold a lot of moisture but I nothing will stop a major leak. (Wow, did I word that right?)

Most minor leaks occur when the housing reaches a certain depth because of failure of the O-ring (crack, nick, dirt, hair, ect) due to the pressure breaking the seal. Hopefully these adsorbent devices would retain any minor moisture and keep it from penetrating into the camera. Any mechanical failure of the housing (clasp, hinge or structural damage) all bets are off.

I found this idea on another website and have not tried this myself yet so I am not saying this is a total answer but I believe the concept is good.
    DevilDiver

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sabbath999 View Post
    Here's the trick though. Buy one package, and also go to Walgreens and buy a small container of Damp Rid for a few dollars. DampRid is a desiccant that will recharge your Moisture Munchers (or any other capsule desiccants that can be recharged) in about a week. Simply take the Moisture Munchers and drop them in a small container of Damp Rid, wait a few days and they are just as good as new. This process can be repeated virtually endlessly (I have some MM's that have been recharged 50 times by now) and they work great.
    Thanks for the tip!
    DevilDiver

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilDiver View Post
    DevilDiver,

Well I hear these things can hold a lot of moisture but I nothing will stop a major leak. (Wow, did I word that right?)
    Even the ones with the wings?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimediver View Post
    DevilDiver,

Even the ones with the wings?

\_ _/
    DevilDiver

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by sabbath999 View Post
    Here's the trick though. Buy one package, and also go to Walgreens and buy a small container of Damp Rid for a few dollars. DampRid is a desiccant that will recharge your Moisture Munchers (or any other capsule desiccants that can be recharged) in about a week. Simply take the Moisture Munchers and drop them in a small container of Damp Rid, wait a few days and they are just as good as new. This process can be repeated virtually endlessly (I have some MM's that have been recharged 50 times by now) and they work great.
    Thanks for the tip!
    Yeah, thanks for the tip, sabbath. I'm new to underwater photography, and wasn't aware that you could actually recharge the MM's. I think I'll be stopping by Walgreens this afternoon.

TadPole
    Back in the old days when men were men, you could locate a box of Kotex large pads in the back of many police cars. They make great absorbant compresses to control bleeding at accident scenes and are a great addition to your first aid kit.
    Or in a pitch you could take a small one out of your camara!
    Last edited by theduckguru; 10-20-2009 at 10:11.

Grouper
    Images
    Most often I get moisture in my camera when it is warm out and the humidity is high. Last July in Cozumel, I made the mistake of leaving my camera in the camera wash tank on the boat and the water was fairly warm. It looked fine when I took it out of the tank but as soon as I hit the cooler ocean water, my lens area would fog up. I'm definitely going to try one of the ideas mentioned here in the future. I felt so bad when the DM was working hard to find stuff for me to take pictures of so I just pretended I was taking them.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by theduckguru View Post
    Back in the old days when men were men, you could locate a box of Kotex large pads in the back of many police cars. They make great absorbant compresses to control bleeding at accident scenes and are a great addition to your first aid kit.
    They were in the trunk of my police car and would do wonders for serious bleeders. Comparing the cost to buying actual first aid type absorbent compresses, they are relatively inexpensive too.

I like this idea for the camera housing though, passed it on to the wife for her camera/housing.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by tk trekers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theduckguru View Post
    They were in the trunk of my police car and would do wonders for serious bleeders. Comparing the cost to buying actual first aid type absorbent compresses, they are relatively inexpensive too.

I like this idea for the camera housing though, passed it on to the wife for her camera/housing.
    I'm kinda guessing that your wife may have a problem putting a feminine hygiene product in her brand new camera housing! I'm bringing the moisture munchers with me to Coz,and they change colors when they get wet.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information