Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: Spare Air: Actually Useful!

  1. #1
    Grouper Founding Member
    Join Date
    07/09/2007
    Location
    Gainesville, Fl
    Age
    30
    Posts
    542

    Spare Air: Actually Useful!

    YouTube - Spare Air: Diver's Salvation

    Let all myths be laid to rest!

  2. #2
    Grouper
    Join Date
    02/28/2009
    Location
    Rogers, AR
    Age
    30
    Posts
    728
    As one of the commenters on the video said, I think it's a stretch that the spare air would last long enough for an exit from a cave. I'm sure someone can prove me wrong on all this, but in a deep penetration I think you're just about screwed if you run out of air.

  3. #3
    Grouper
    Join Date
    04/10/2008
    Location
    Brisbane, QLD
    Posts
    679
    Quote Originally Posted by JahJahwarrior View Post
    Let all myths be laid to rest!
    Great. So for a trained, relaxed and experienced caver, it works for more than a minute. Now pass one at to a panicking diver whose SAC rate is up around 50lpm and see how long it lasts.

  4. #4
    Grouper
    Join Date
    10/05/2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    614
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JahJahwarrior View Post
    Let all myths be laid to rest!
    Great. So for a trained, relaxed and experienced caver, it works for more than a minute. Now pass one at to a panicking diver whose SAC rate is up around 50lpm and see how long it lasts.
    Better to have a small chance than no chance at all.

  5. #5
    Grouper
    Join Date
    04/10/2008
    Location
    Brisbane, QLD
    Posts
    679
    Quote Originally Posted by db83 View Post
    Better to have a small chance than no chance at all.
    Better still to have a proper redundant air-source and a well-planned dive than half-measures that may or may not give you enough air to surface without serious injury.

  6. #6
    Grouper
    Join Date
    10/05/2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    614
    Images
    3
    I want to get a Spare Air can soon, but it's not this video that sold me. I mean, it was obviously a produced and edited video. Someone is there holding the camera, so obviously if the diver actually did run out of air, the cameraman would be able to share his air. In fact, in this video, there are at least 2 observers. Unless of course, this is a reality show and we are meant to see a person panic, turn colors from oxygen deprivation, and drown. I wouldn't exactly say this video is proof that Spare Air is useful.

  7. #7
    Grouper
    Join Date
    02/28/2009
    Location
    Rogers, AR
    Age
    30
    Posts
    728
    Quote Originally Posted by db83 View Post
    I want to get a Spare Air can soon, but it's not this video that sold me. I mean, it was obviously a produced and edited video. Someone is there holding the camera, so obviously if the diver actually did run out of air, the cameraman would be able to share his air. In fact, in this video, there are at least 2 observers. Unless of course, this is a reality show and we are meant to see a person panic, turn colors from oxygen deprivation, and drown. I wouldn't exactly say this video is proof that Spare Air is useful.
    If you're looking for some reliable you might opt for a pony bottle rather than a spare air such as that. A pony bottle is going to be more expensive because you are buying a small tank and regulator, but you will get a lot more air out of it.

  8. #8
    Grouper
    Join Date
    10/05/2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    614
    Images
    3
    oh, me getting a spare air would mostly be for snorkeling purposes. I have a difficult time equalizing without breathing so this would allow me to go down at least a little bit while snorkeling.

  9. #9
    Grand Master Spammer
    Join Date
    10/10/2007
    Location
    Southeast Florida
    Age
    56
    Posts
    4,015
    There is no indication of the depth of that cave. I'm thinking it must have been relatively shallow for the spare air to last as long as it did.

  10. #10
    Shark snagel's Avatar
    Join Date
    08/04/2007
    Location
    Warrensburg, MO USA
    Age
    52
    Posts
    3,805
    Images
    9
    A can of spare is better than no air....but, my understanding is it will give you enough (a few breaths) to surface. There are better options. I'm not an expert, but to all the newbs, don't think that getting a can of spare air and you can finish your dive - espicially, in a cave. It's better than nothing, but a better way is to follow your training and not run out of air.

    Snagel

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Spare air-useful or not
    By letonac in forum Scuba Stories, Comments & Questions that don't fit elsewhere!
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 11-15-2009, 17:15
  2. Spare air
    By dragon26 in forum Used Stuff for Sale
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-11-2008, 10:44
  3. spare air
    By FreedomPC in forum WTB
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 05-05-2008, 00:56
  4. FS - Spare Air 3.0 - As New
    By cyclone3565 in forum Used Stuff for Sale
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-18-2008, 10:06

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •