Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to go for play hookie and dive day

Grouper

Where to go for play hookie and dive day

My buddy and I planned what we hope will be a quarterly play hookie from work and go diving day for last Wednesday. Unfortunately the world has, and continues to conspire against us. After a severe sinus infection pushed our plans to next week, I heard from Tim at Nautical Adventures that they'll be closed for vacation next week and that the conditions at Tenkiller are less than ideal.

My buddy is in far South Central Oklahoma and we figured no problem, we'll just got to Clear Springs. Nope. They aren't open on Wednesdays. Now what?

Has anyone been to either Murray, Tenkiller or Elmer Thomas in the last couple of weeks, or is there some better spot that I'm not thinking of. This is a "better wet than nothing" dive so we aint exactly picky. I'd suggest Oronogo, but it's a bit far for my buddy.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly needed. Or is this sob story fate telling us to stay at work and stay dry?

Grouper
    Images
    I dove Murray the first weekend in October. Course the air temps were a little better then. I wore my 3 mil with a core warmer and once you got over the initial cold blast getting in, it wasn't too bad. The vis was pretty good-between 5 to 10 feet (depending on if you were near the students). I do have to say a couple of times I lost people (I was distracted by the fish) and had to swim really fast in the last direction I saw them going to find them again. We were over by the platforms and found pretty much everything (the boats, the shark, etc).

Grouper
    Images
    Been to Elmer Thomas but that was last year for my AOW (water temp was in the 60's at 50 feet mid Oct). I think that the closest dive shop is in Lawton unless they opened one up since I've been there. Still doing Oronogo on halloween?

Mike
    I have dis... disleck... dyslec... I give up... I can't spell!

Grouper
    Hope to.

Grouper
    Images
    Has anyone ever tried to dive Sooner Lake? I think it is between Stillwater and Ponca City. I had a fisherman that runs a guide service tell me it is the clearest lake in Oklahome. He said it is owned by a power company, so I don't know if they will allow scuba diving.
    Tulsa Aquanauts
    www.tulsaaquanauts.com

Grouper
    Which power company?

Grouper
    Images
    Directions:

2 miles east of Interstate 35 and about 15 miles south of Ponca City northeast of the intersection of U.S. Highways 412 and 177.
    I have dis... disleck... dyslec... I give up... I can't spell!

Grouper
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BubblesMcCoy View Post
    Which power company?
    I googled, it was built by OGE.

Ray
    Slowly exhale, relax, your brain will kick in...and if you can breath and think calmly, there's not too much you can't figure out, in any part of life.

Grouper
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Soonerwink View Post
    Has anyone ever tried to dive Sooner Lake? I think it is between Stillwater and Ponca City. I had a fisherman that runs a guide service tell me it is the clearest lake in Oklahome. He said it is owned by a power company, so I don't know if they will allow scuba diving.

Sooner Lake Oklahoma

little info about the lake (record state large mouth caught here...june 2009, nice)

there is a phone number for contact on the page..

(580) 723-4415

My work is going to be a zoo this week, so I won't have time to call...but if someone does, post back info.

We need more good Oklahoma lake diving choices
    Slowly exhale, relax, your brain will kick in...and if you can breath and think calmly, there's not too much you can't figure out, in any part of life.

Grouper
    Images
    I will try and give them a call, tomorrow if I can get the time. I wonder if it is a warm water lake like swepco, just over the Arkansas line. It would be nice to find another lake to dive in the winter.
    Tulsa Aquanauts
    www.tulsaaquanauts.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information