Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canon S90 housing

Grouper
    Images

Canon S90 housing

Considering the new Canon S90 as an UW camera for my wife and a backup to my DSLR rig. My old Fuji 810 backup is getting very flaky, not sure how much longer I can trust it.

Will probably wait for the Ike housing to become available - but mildly interested in the Canon housing as they are so small and we are diving in mid-December; so need a housing that is available in early December.

Question - do the Canon housings have a threaded mounting hole in the bottom so I can attach a tray to mount external strobes to? Not interested at all if I can't attach a tray/and or a decent mounting for an external strobe. Thanks in advance.
    Underwater photography addict
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bversteegh/

Funeral Jorunna
    I have a little SD900 and a Canon UW case and it does have the thread you want.
    If you get confused listen to the music play.
    To much of everything is just enough.

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Canon housings all have a tripod mount hole.

It's a shame that they're not shipping for the S90 just yet.

It's looking like the Ikelite housing could very well beat the Canon housing to market! Ike will be released "Early November" per their website. No word from Canon on the OEM housings just yet. Could be tomorrow, could be...???

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images

Well...the honeymoon trip was not that long ago but I guess it is time for another trip. Where are you off to this time?

The only thing I would say about the Canon housing is if you plan to add a strobe you will probably be stuck with one of the one sided tape/Velcro connections or having to use a optical slave sensor like the Ike AF35. You would have no problem adding the tray.......

If you get the S90 please post a review, I know there are a lot of people with their eye on this camera.
    DevilDiver

Grouper
    Images
    We went and played with it at Best Buy after church this morning - I really like it. Looks like a great topside camera when I don't want to mess with lugging my 40D and lens around. focus speed and shutter lag were very good - and the front control ring seems pretty intuitive.

I did go to the Ike site today - and they have updated their S90 listing from under evaluation to early November delivery - just like Compudude said - so I'm a happy camper. Rather have an Ike housing, I was just afraid it wouldn't be out yet.

We're heading to Cozumel the first week of Christmas vacation (leaving on the 18th). I haven't been there since 2003 - so will be interesting to see what shape the reef is in.

I'll probably get the camera next week, so I'll write a review once I've had a chance to play a little.
    Underwater photography addict
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bversteegh/

I've had the S90 for over a week now, but I've only played with it a little topside, obviously, since there's no housing for it yet. Wife broke my S80.

Very happy with the quality of the photos so far, and it seems to have great low-light performance, so I look forward to finally getting a housing so I can take it on a dive.

Guppy
    The Ike site now has all the details on the new housing ! Not sure when they will start shipping, but pictures show it to be a compact case. I am getting one ordered this week.

Grouper
    Images
    has anyone compared this camera to the canon g11?

In some ways, the S90 is actually better than the G11. (faster lens, smaller size, a few other details) In other ways, not so much. They both use the same 10mp sensor, I believe.

I'm not happy with the Ikelite housing, surprising to say. Based on details on the site and a couple of exchanges with Ikelite, of course... it's not shipping until mid-late November. I may end up with the OEM housing... assuming they actually ship it one of these days.

Guppy
    What don't you like about the Ike housing ?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information