Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Still in Guam

TadPole
    I agree, MDA is a great dive shop, you have probably already found that out.
    There are a lot of great dives here, very cheap as well. Gun beach is a cool dive. The wrecks in Apra harbor are my favorites. ( Tokai Maru, Cormoran, Kitsagawa Maru. American Tanker is alright).

As for school is Guam. There is only one option...... St. Johns private school in Tumon Bay.

The boat diving is cheap here, and the shore dives are plentiful.

The dive trips from here are awesome. I went to Yap last year and am going to Palau in a few months. Fiji is a new direct flight option, I'm going this summer ;-)
    See the MDA travel desk for details on dive trips from Guam.

Guam is great. It took me less that 24 hrs. to decide on a job offer here. It's been a great opportunity.

Welcome to Guam!

-Mitch
    I do not spearfish on scuba.

Shark
    Images
    Hey!
    Leaving for Majuro Tomorrow. This is a working trip, but will have a couple "down time " days and hope to get a dive or two in.
    I regret putting off deep and wreck diving courses, but will remedy that when I return to Guam.
    Joined the "5 Star" club with MDA- a great deal, even just for the 3 free 2-tank boat dives for signing up.
    My tools are here horray!
    Only two dives so far, both shore dives, Gun Beach and Todd (Whitepointer here) got me on the Navy Base and we did GabGab.. both pretty good, different from Carribean what I am used to.
    Hopefully will be diving Majuro and get my first shark encounter. (It could happen!)
    Thanks for the great advice all... I am gettin settled in my little apartment, a motel room actually, and am finding the places that offer great food during happy hour so I don't have to cook. (cooking for one person is a challenge.
    Hopefully work will settle down and I will have a bit more free time. Watch for dive reports, and if I ever get the hang of this camera (saving my pennies to get a strobe) some pictures.
    Happy New Year all!
    The Stud

Hi there Scubastud....

I'm on Guam, stationed at Andersen but live out in Chalan Pago.. over by GU Marine biology lab... I've only been snorkeling so far but me and the wife want to get into diving as we'll be here for at least 2.5 years longer .... Send me a PM and maybe we'll get to diving ... well when I get cert'd

Shark
    Images
    Some good and bad news..

Due to family obligations, I will be leaving Guam and coming back to the states.
    This forces me to cancell my trip to Palau.
    I think I will take the freq flyer miles and visit my son in Curacao.

Sine Timore!

Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by scubastud View Post
    Some good and bad news..

Due to family obligations, I will be leaving Guam and coming back to the states.
    This forces me to cancell my trip to Palau.
    I think I will take the freq flyer miles and visit my son in Curacao.
    Too bad you did not have a chance to go diving in Palau...good luck with you family obligations.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlerm View Post
    I agree, MDA is a great dive shop, you have probably already found that out.
    There are a lot of great dives here, very cheap as well. Gun beach is a cool dive. The wrecks in Apra harbor are my favorites. ( Tokai Maru, Cormoran, Kitsagawa Maru. American Tanker is alright).

As for school is Guam. There is only one option...... St. Johns private school in Tumon Bay.

The boat diving is cheap here, and the shore dives are plentiful.

The dive trips from here are awesome. I went to Yap last year and am going to Palau in a few months. Fiji is a new direct flight option, I'm going this summer ;-)
    See the MDA travel desk for details on dive trips from Guam.

Guam is great. It took me less that 24 hrs. to decide on a job offer here. It's been a great opportunity.

Welcome to Guam!

-Mitch
    I agree with pretty much everything you say except for the Saint Johns school being the only (as in best) school option on Guam. It is my last choice. When I lived there we tried home schooling, then Saint Johns School (taught by Catholic nuns without teaching degrees,), Santa Barbara School (too much prejudice against haole kids). Both private schools were very expensive. We settled for the public school system, Marie Joa School with good results. The teachers are all certified and they kept religion out of school. We did volunteer at the school pretty much every day and that helped us a lot. No matter what you do, school on Guam is very much below what you will get on the mainland. If you stay involved your kids will be fine.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Grouper
    Guam is Great, I have made my return to here this past Spring!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information