Thread: Commercial Divers forum?

TadPole

Commercial Divers forum?

Hello! I joined because theres alot of good info here to learn since I been out of diving since 86. But I would like to Ask why there isnt a forum for Commercial Divers? Yeh! we are divers. but its different! the needs, the work, and the experience is way different than scuba forum
    Can you start one?

Grouper
    I suspect there would not be a lot of interest in this on this forum but I could be wrong. A real commercial diver is not very likely to be frequenting this site as the equipment and methods used are much different. I suspect that if you are looking for a good forum on commercial diving and want to get the real scoop from real commercial divers and not from folks who think they are commercial divers because someone paid them to clean a boat hull, replace a zinc or find a lost outboard, you should go to a forum like this one:
    offshorediver.com

I get paid by the state for doing underwater criminal investigations as a part of my job. I do not consider myself to be a commercial diver., though I get paid for my diving as what I do differs greatly from what most commercial divers do for a living. That is mainly underwater construction jobs. I suspect that most folks on this forum dive recreationally or teach or sell to recreational divers and are not offshore commercial divers, or even inland commercial divers or involved in things like saturation diving, etc.

Again, I guess there could possibly be a commercial diver or two here and if so they could chime in and correct me if I am wrong.

Shark
    Crimediver, If you wrote a book about your job, I would totally buy a copy. Have you considered it?

TadPole
    hey, thanks alot, not much of a forum on the link you gave , but it works I recon

T

Grouper
    I'm not a commercial diver by any means, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Friday night & helped reattach a boat dock to the big piece of concrete it had broken loose from on Saturday. (ok I didn't really stay at a holiday inn, But I did help with the boat dock for the 2nd Sat in a row).
    I would love commercial divers forum just to read more about diving experiences!!!
    Say When....

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Largo View Post
    Crimediver, If you wrote a book about your job, I would totally buy a copy. Have you considered it?
    I actually have thought about a book on my LE career and some of the special assignments I have done but I suspect the diving would only be a small chapter of it. But it would be full of danger, intrigue and sex!

There are actually a couple of good books already out there on the subject that you might find interesting. One such book was written by a friend of mine, Mike Berry. He is with the Va State Police. It is called At The Water's Edge. It is a good nut and bolts book on how to conduct underwater criminal investigations. A bit pricey but wll worth it, if for no other reason than my picture is in there a couple of places ha, ha.

He has an interesting web site Underwater Criminal Investigators

Mike teaches a very good UCI school that I heartily recommend.

Another interesting book is The Encyclpedia Of Underwater Investigations. The author is Cpl. Bob Teather. Bob was a Mountie and only one of 20 people ever to receive the Canadian Cross of Valor for a dive rescue he did in the 80's. He entered a capsized vessel to save the lives of two men trapped in the hull and swam them out.

Bob ran an underwater investigations school through Dive Rescue International. I have taken the school and it was a good one. Bob was a pioneer in the field of public safety diving but sadly he passed away about 5 years ago. His books are still available. Fortunately my picture is not in Bob's book because most of the people in there are very dead and disgusting.

Shark
    I've been wanting to get my goons trained up on how NOT to leave evidence underwater.

Do you think those books could help me, from that angle?

Grouper
    I've been wanting to get my goons trained up on how NOT to leave evidence underwater.

I am sure of it. One of the courses I had included scuba diving equipment investigations and scuba related deaths investigations. If your henchmen insist on slashing hoses a properly trained UCI man would pick up on that pretty darned quick.

Megalodon
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimediver View Post

I am sure of it. One of the courses I had included scuba diving equipment investigations and scuba related deaths investigations. If your henchmen insist on slashing hoses a properly trained UCI man would pick up on that pretty darned quick.
    Not to mention a couple of government agents with spears in their chests.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Thread Information