Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIN or Yoke in Egypt?

Grouper
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CompuDude View Post

I have this one (similar at least). I'll take some pics of mine and put them up here so you can take a look.

Grouper
    Images
    Ok, here's what I have: (apparently it needs servicing as it is building rust)
    Also, it actually says 300 bar on there but you can't really see it in the picture.

And here's the Yoke Adapter:

And here's another look at the adapter

Pardon the blurriness. I was too lazy to take out the dSLR so I just used my phone's camera.

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Looks like normal scuba gear to me. What's your question?

Grouper
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlane View Post
    Based on its proximity to Europe I'm going to guess that it's DIN. If you have a yoke first stage they make adapters that can make a DIN valve usable with yoke, but not the other way around.
    Depends on whether it's a 300 bar DIN valve or a 200 bar valve. 200 Bar can be converted (usually), 300 bar cannot.
    Did I just misunderstand you? I thought you said that 200 bar valves can be converted to yoke, 300 bar cannot.
    My regulator's interface is 300 bar, and can use a yoke converter. Or am I simply getting the terminology mixed up?

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by db83 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlane View Post
    Based on its proximity to Europe I'm going to guess that it's DIN. If you have a yoke first stage they make adapters that can make a DIN valve usable with yoke, but not the other way around.
    Depends on whether it's a 300 bar DIN valve or a 200 bar valve. 200 Bar can be converted (usually), 300 bar cannot.
    Did I just misunderstand you? I thought you said that 200 bar valves can be converted to yoke, 300 bar cannot.
    My regulator's interface is 300 bar, and can use a yoke converter. Or am I simply getting the terminology mixed up?
    This is a perfect example of the language not being clear. DIN regs, DIN valve, Yoke regs, Yoke valves, adapters for each... which are you referring to? In my sentence, I referred to valves, not regs. The second sentence continued that same thought but could be read both ways if you're hazy on the terminology to start.

200 bar DIN valves can be converted (with the donut) so they can be used with Yoke regs.

300 bar DIN valves cannot be converted to be used with Yoke regs... or 200 bar DIN regs.

DIN regs (either the rare 200 bar or the common 300 bar) can use a screw-on yoke so you can use them with Yoke tank valves.

Grouper
    Images
    Thank you for clearing that up. Had to read it twice. LOL

Barracuda
    Images
    I'm here right now and I have a din and my brother has yoke. No problem for eeither one as the tanks all have an insert in them making them either one. all the guides carry the allen wrench to change them.
    By the way we use Saanai Divers in Sharm and Dive urge in Dahab.

TadPole
    Hi. I don't know if anyone fully answered this question. But the dive shops in Egypt generally have both yoke and DIN set ups. In my experience, the DIN tanks there tend to be 200 bar and have threads to convert to yoke with the doughnut insert.

Before you board your day boat or live aboard, make sure the shop knows what kind of gear you have. Some of the shops are more popular with Europeans (especially Germans/Russians, which seem to have DIN gear more frequently than others). If you don't tell the shop what you have, they may be short of yolk set ups once you get out on the water... not a happy day.

Also, you may want to buy a few doughnut inserts yourself and bring them along (you can buy them on Scubatoys). I keep several spares in my equipment bag and they have come in handy many times.

For example, its not uncommon for rental tanks to have dried out, crappy o-rings and no spares on board. Under these circumstances, if the ring leaks or gives way, your dive trip is toast. If you have an extra doughnut, you can simply swap it out, problem solved (its also useful to carry a wrench too -- they're cheap.) You can also just replace the o-ring, if you have some spares too. Just don't forget to take your doughnut out of the tank at the end of the trip.

Hi every body
    I was just there & they have DIN 200 valves. They also have adapters that you can screw in them making them Yoke but i had trouble sealing my DVT alpha 8 regulator in them. The problem turned out to be crappy O rings in the adapter that faces the inside of the valve. No seal was obtained unless you screw the first stage really hard. The DVT did not allow any air to flow unless it had direct contact & every thing was properly aligned. Thanks for every body who contributed to this thread
    http://weingut-hund.de/1dc3b

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information