Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cavern Class in OK?

Guppy

Cavern Class in OK?

Are there any shops in Oklahoma that offer cavern class? Anybody have recommendation on instructors in the area? I got bitten by the cave bug while I was in Mexico and want to start down that road...

Grouper
    A google search reveals this woman from IANTD is in OK:

Shannon D. Wallace Claremore
    OK var citytemp =("OK") if (citytemp != "" ) { document.writeln(", ") } , USA

Phone:
    Fax:
    Email:

001-918-605-1203

[email protected]
    Certification Levels:

show_levels("100|101|102|104|105|106|107|109|119|1 21|125|126|122|116|108") Open Water Instructor
    EANx Instructor
    Advanced EANx Instructor
    Wreck Instructor
    Introductory Cave Instructor
    Technical Instructor
    Technical Cave Diver Instructor
    Trimix Instructor
    Normoxic Trimix Instructor
    Snorkeling Instructor
    Cavern Instructor
    Advanced Recreational Trimix Instructor
    Open Water FreeDiving Instructor
    Rescue Diver Instructor
    Technical Wreck Diver Instructor

Here's where you can search:
    IANTD Instructors Search Page

Barracuda
    I'll be honest - do yourself a favor and plan a trip either to N. Florida or back to Mexico to do the cave training. Missouri has some nice caves but the ones in Florida are MUCH better for training. I've personally not been to Mexico but everthing written says they are the same as Florida.

The reason - water temp and visibility. The caves I have dove in Missouri was drysuit, hood and gloves. Florida can be done in a wetsuit with no gloves or hood. The vis is another point. Florida has vis in the 50+ range easily.

Of course - in Mexico and Florida, you have a wide assortment of instructors to choose from.

Grouper
    Images
    Poseidon Adventures in Tulsa does cavern and cave classes. There is also C&J at Beaver Lake by Eureka Springs, and Capt Johns in Oronogo Mo.
    Tulsa Aquanauts
    www.tulsaaquanauts.com

Guppy
    Why would you take a cave class in an area with very few caves? I'd rather take cave from an instructor who frequently cave dives, and that means being local to several systems.

And I'm no fan of cavern class. I think cavern+intro or cave 1 is the way to go, 2 days and a measly 4 dives simply isn't enough with a cave instructor to start overhead diving in my opinion. I've heard it said a cavern can become a cave with 1 errant fin kick, so if you're going to be in such an environment, why not get training for cave?
    Last edited by jj1987; 11-14-2009 at 20:34.
    http://jamesg.net
    -James Garrett

Instructor, Technical & Cave Diver "Forum Admin" TommyB's Avatar
    Images
    Agreed,
    Unless said instructor spends tons of time in systems doing cave training, go find another shop.
    Take the time to setup a vacation, and do this right.
    Way to easy to end up dead in an overhead environment. And it's just not worth it to take a course from some shop / instructor that may or may not dive in caves but once/ twice a year.

Do some research on instructors and find one that is diving the caves everyday or couple times a week. Once that's done, then you've found a cave instructor.
    Tommy Burchfield Naui/TDI/SDI
    if ( $clue == \'none\' ) { read ( sig & avatar rules | forum rules ) && search ( forums | google ) }
    if ( $answer == 0 ){ post->question }

Shark Founding Member
    Enid, Oklahoma (no longer living the desert life)
    Images
    If you want, I can give you SLIMs contact info. He teaches out of Missouri, at Roubidoux springs. He is a great instructor, and he lives to cave dive.

When I was asking for instructors over on cave diver forum, I had several people recommend him.
    Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by fire diver View Post
    If you want, I can give you SLIMs contact info. He teaches out of Missouri, at Roubidoux springs. He is a great instructor, and he lives to cave dive.

When I was asking for instructors over on cave diver forum, I had several people recommend him.
    Roubidoux is a cool cave to boot.

Barracuda Founding Member
    Start with a good instructor. When you get to this level you want a instructor that knows his stuff.

When I really got into tec. diving I sought out an instructor that had been doing the diving I wanted to do for years. With thousands of dives in the direction I wanted to take my diving. Don't skimp and go with the closest one.

Guppy
    Thanks for all the suggestions... I really appreciate it. I have been thinking of doing the combined cavern and intro to cave course. My dive guide down in Mexico also does instruction so I may well go back down there to complete the training...I just didn't want to wait until next year!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information