Thread: Beginner

TadPole

Beginner

Hi to everyone! My name is Tommaso, I'm Italian, living in Japan, with about 20 dives experience but zero underwater photography knowledge. I am a consultant and I am new to the Forum and so I apologize if I'm braking any riles or asking really retarded or already asked questions!

So... Could someone please reccommend me a good website or something basic and practical where I can learn about underwater photography? I was a fashion photographer and I own a Nikon D3X plus a Canon S90. I need to undertsand the basic differences with land photography (light, etc), the basic musts and must not, the basic gear (is a strobe absolutely necessary after 20m), and anything else which can be useful. I have seen many websites but there is a lot of theory.

I need simple points. I am going to Bali for 10 days in December and I need to know some basics: for example is a camera case without flash useful or a waste of moeny as I will cerainly need to upgrade in future. Do I need special lenses?

Thank you in advance for your time and advices! Arigatou!

Tommaso

When I need UW photo questions I go to Wetpixel.com :: Underwater Photography and Videography. Alot of great information from very knowledgable individuals.

Barracuda Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascanio1 View Post
    Hi to everyone! My name is Tommaso, I'm Italian, living in Japan, with about 20 dives experience but zero underwater photography knowledge. I am a consultant and I am new to the Forum and so I apologize if I'm braking any riles or asking really retarded or already asked questions!

So... Could someone please reccommend me a good website or something basic and practical where I can learn about underwater photography? I was a fashion photographer and I own a Nikon D3X plus a Canon S90. I need to undertsand the basic differences with land photography (light, etc), the basic musts and must not, the basic gear (is a strobe absolutely necessary after 20m), and anything else which can be useful. I have seen many websites but there is a lot of theory.

I need simple points. I am going to Bali for 10 days in December and I need to know some basics: for example is a camera case without flash useful or a waste of moeny as I will cerainly need to upgrade in future. Do I need special lenses?

Thank you in advance for your time and advices! Arigatou!

Tommaso

Welcome to the board Tommaso! As you know, different equipment is designed to be used in different situations and will produce different results. The first question to ask is what your goals are? The second is how much do you really want to spend? The final question is do you want to lug an extra 20-30kg around the world with you? . That'll help you decide if you want to use your DSLR or your compact.

If you want to bring out colors and details, then a flash is a must. Water absorbs colors very quickly. Even in just a few meters, you'll see significant color loss. The next obstacle you have is the water column. Even with a flash, you want to be as close to your subject as you can so the flash can be effective. Like land flashes, U/W strobes can vary significantly in power. If the flash is underpowered for your purpose, you'll lose color.

In terms of lenses, there are a variety of options, but most will fall into two catagories: 1) Close Focus Wide Angle 2) Macro. Some folks will also carry a wide zoom such as an 18-75mm for fishy portraits. My personal choices are the Tokina 10-17mm Fisheye for CFWA and the Canon 100mm Macro. I believe Nikon makes a 105mm Macro. Of course for each lens, you'll need the appropriate port to attach to the housing, so things get expensive quickly.

Feel free to fire more questions. I'll happily share my limited knowledge. Oh, and I'm expecting a full trip report from Bali. I'll be heading out that way in July and would definitely appreciate any reports. Have a great trip.
    Check out my photo site: SeaMonsterPhoto.com

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images
    DevilDiver

Thread Information