Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pissing Off the Octopi

Grouper

Unhappy Pissing Off the Octopi

So I was on a dive trip with a small company this summer, diving in shallow water about ~300 feet off the coast of oahu. Our divemaster was a interesting fellow, a very nice guy, but not very....safe? We had 3 divers who had never scuba dove before and he was taking them down with us to ~40 feet! Of course, he gave them a brief 5 minute safety speech......

But anyways, on our dive, I spotted a red octopus and showed it to our guide so he could show everyone else. He immeditly jammed his hand into the hole and broke off a piece of the coral trying to get to octopus out. I was horrified! When he did get it out, he took out his camera and got a picture of everyone with it.

What do you think was the correct thing to do here, or in general when dealing with these amazing animals....should I have confronted him afterwords?

Thanks!

Images
    im against damaging the reef , and also against harassing animals , if the occy was coaxed out and of its own will climbed on to the divers hand ok ,

a bit hard if your just starting out. but a waggle of the finger or a shake of the head can mean a lot . just because someone is more experence than you doesn't mean he is right
    Matty

Barracuda Founding Member
    Images
    If it's a day charter, I'd have a chat with the captain and find out if they encourage their divemasters to "create" these encounters. If so, I'd find another charter. On a liveaboard, I'd talk to the DM and subtely feel him/her out while letting my personal feelings be know.

As a photographer, I made a personal decision to never touch, poke or prod a subject in order to get the shot I want. I'm sure that DMs have called me over after nudging critters, but if I have witnessed it, I won't shoot the subject. There's too many fish in the sea . Well, sorta.
    Check out my photo site: SeaMonsterPhoto.com

Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmoothdome View Post
    If it's a day charter, I'd have a chat with the captain and find out if they encourage their divemasters to "create" these encounters. If so, I'd find another charter. On a liveaboard, I'd talk to the DM and subtely feel him/her out while letting my personal feelings be know.

As a photographer, I made a personal decision to never touch, poke or prod a subject in order to get the shot I want. I'm sure that DMs have called me over after nudging critters, but if I have witnessed it, I won't shoot the subject. There's too many fish in the sea . Well, sorta.
    Yeah, I wouldn't wanna F with any critters. Oh, wait, I did grab a catfish in the lake here. He kept coming up to us and sitting there like he wanted to be petted. Bad on me, but don't wanna mess with anything going about it's day.

It's only impossible.

Grouper
    Take only pictures, Leave only bubbles.

I hate it when i see people grabbing wild life, or breaking coral. Its just not on at all.

Barracuda Founding Member
    Images
    It's easy enough to break coral with an errant fin kick or catching a hose. I try to be extremely careful, but I've had my own share of "oops moments" down below. Accidently contact upsets me. I can't even imagine grabbing on to living coral and snapping it on purpose. At times while shooting macro, I will hold myself in position using 1-2 fingers on a non-living part of the reef, but no shot is worth destroying the very things I have traveled so far to see and photograph.
    Check out my photo site: SeaMonsterPhoto.com

Bad move on the part of the DM

i'm for a bit of prodding or chasing after marine life, but not too much and not in a way that harms the animal or the reef

Grouper
    Thanks for your feedback...I agree with thesmoothdome, i absolutely hate even accidently touching coral or anything down there...the underwater world is just too beautiful.

Images
    recently i had an occy that would come out to play, grab my camera , climb on my hand , explore me and my buddys and try to pinch my buddys camera ,

but only when he was in the mood , some days he just diddent want to play and we just left him alone , some days the occy would actually push me away with his tentacle .

i believe if these intelligent animals want to play that's ok have fun , but respect their space and no harassing.

from what i understand , an orange occy is Pissed off
    matty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information