Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: GBR Wetsuit Worries

  1. #1
    Grouper
    Join Date
    04/05/2009
    Location
    United States
    Age
    41
    Posts
    274
    Images
    1

    GBR Wetsuit Worries

    I had it all figured out. I would take my new 5 mil Thermoprene wetsuit on my January trip to the GBR. However, I'm having second thoughts. Will I be too hot? I dive most trips (Mexico, Philippines) with a worn out 2 mil shorty, and am always warm enough. In South Africa and Florida and Mexico springs/cenotes I rented warmer wetsuits, 3 mill full I think.

    Now I'm worried I'll roast in my 5 mil in the GBR. We will be on a liveaboard and doing a lot of diving, but maybe 5 mil is overkill? Any thoughts?

    Thanks,

    Ted

  2. #2
    Grand Poobah Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    ScubaToys Larry's Avatar
    Join Date
    07/10/2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    6,614
    By GBR do you mean Great Barrier Reef?? If so... I think folks will need a bit more info to give you a good answer. They call it Great because it's pretty darn big... like the biggest... like the entire east coast of the continent. So the temps can run from 50's in the south to 80's in the north.

    It's like saying, I'm diving on the east coast of the US, what suit do I need? Diving in florida or Maine??

    I was diving near coffs harbor - about half way between Sydney and cairns and the water temp was right about 70 in July - so 7 mils were great.

    We have a fair number of Aussies on the board who can give you more insight, but we'll probably have to nail down where you'll be a bit more.

  3. #3
    Grouper
    Join Date
    04/05/2009
    Location
    United States
    Age
    41
    Posts
    274
    Images
    1
    Good point Larry. I am going with Mike Ball to Ribbon Reef. Their estimate is water temp will be somewhere around 81 or 82!!! When I read that I started getting "cold feet" about my 5mil.

  4. #4
    Grouper
    Join Date
    03/29/2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    59
    Posts
    704
    I was warm in an old 3mm steamer even after a 2hr night dive?, really just a long deco/snorkel on top of the reef, in June (Winter), water temp about 22 C. The water temp in Jan supposed to be around 27 C . Hope you don't get any cyclones (what you call a Hurricane) whilst your there, Dec-Feb is the season.
    Rod
    Any dive you survive is a good dive

  5. #5
    Grouper
    Join Date
    04/05/2009
    Location
    United States
    Age
    41
    Posts
    274
    Images
    1
    Thanks Rod. I hate to take 2 wetsuits, and I'm thinking for a lot a multiple dives I will probably start getting cold in my old 2 mil. I don't have time or inclination to buy another wetsuit now, so I suppose I'll just go with what I have. If I'm roasting hot I can dive with no suit I suppose, or rent a three mil. Anyone else have input? I've never been overheated on a dive, but imagine that's not a lot of fun. I suppose you can flush with fresh water to help cool down.

  6. #6
    Grouper
    Join Date
    04/10/2008
    Location
    Brisbane, QLD
    Posts
    679
    Quote Originally Posted by paperdesk View Post
    Anyone else have input? I've never been overheated on a dive, but imagine that's not a lot of fun. I suppose you can flush with fresh water to help cool down.
    I'm a couple of thousand kilometres south of where you'll be going & a 5mm is borderline uncomfortable in the height of summer. If you've got a 2mm, use that with a vest if you start to chill. You can always flush a 5mm to cool off, which will sort of work, but it's no fun on the surface when the air temp is 35C+.
    Some franchises just never make it... CSI:Wagga Wagga was one of them.

  7. #7
    Guppy
    Join Date
    10/01/2007
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    161
    What he said.

    5mm is too much for Northern QLD in Summer.

    Pick up a cheap 3mm shorty in Cairns?

  8. #8
    Barracuda Founding Member
    Join Date
    07/10/2007
    Location
    Irving Texas-
    Posts
    1,311
    Images
    2
    I would dive with the 5mm, especially if doing multiple dives per day.

    I did Rottnest (other side of OZ) last month in a 3/2mm with a diveskin and was still a bit chilled after the last dive of the day. YMMV, since we all have different tolerances for cold.

    PPM
    John Lewis--the PlatypusMan!


  9. #9
    Grouper
    Join Date
    03/29/2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    59
    Posts
    704
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatypusMan View Post
    I would dive with the 5mm, especially if doing multiple dives per day.

    I did Rottnest (other side of OZ) last month in a 3/2mm with a diveskin and was still a bit chilled after the last dive of the day. YMMV, since we all have different tolerances for cold.

    PPM
    Hi, Platypus
    Just to set the record right, do you remember how long it took you to fly across Australia? You almost have to fly that far north to get to the top of GBR,. ie: Melbourne - Perth is 2720 km, Melbourne - Cairns is 2296 km
    Perth water temp max 22 celsius
    Cairns water temp 28+ celsius

    I'd go with the 3/2mm
    Any dive you survive is a good dive

  10. #10
    Barracuda Founding Member
    Join Date
    07/10/2007
    Location
    Irving Texas-
    Posts
    1,311
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by oddbod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatypusMan View Post
    I would dive with the 5mm, especially if doing multiple dives per day.

    I did Rottnest (other side of OZ) last month in a 3/2mm with a diveskin and was still a bit chilled after the last dive of the day. YMMV, since we all have different tolerances for cold.

    PPM
    Hi, Platypus
    Just to set the record right, do you remember how long it took you to fly across Australia? You almost have to fly that far north to get to the top of GBR,. ie: Melbourne - Perth is 2720 km, Melbourne - Cairns is 2296 km
    Perth water temp max 22 celsius
    Cairns water temp 28+ celsius

    I'd go with the 3/2mm

    I see and concede your point.

    PPM
    John Lewis--the PlatypusMan!


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. GBR in September
    By Liver10 in forum Australia & New Zealand
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-19-2009, 21:00
  2. Wetsuit
    By maddhadder in forum Dutch Springs
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-01-2008, 19:26
  3. Wetsuit
    By Wetnurse28 in forum Equipment Recalls
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-31-2008, 10:14
  4. Help on Wetsuit
    By UCFKnightDiver in forum Wetsuits
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-04-2008, 20:24
  5. GBR on the Nimrod
    By philmayer in forum Trips & Travel
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-18-2007, 17:20

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •