Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: headache after diving

Quote Originally Posted by Subaqua View Post
    I ask a physician specialized in scuba diving and he told me that it's probably related to sinus congestion. It might be the case as the last time it happened I had more problem equalizing. He said I could take something like tylenol sinus before diving. But, I'll still try all of your advices.

thanks
    Be VERY careful with any type of sinus med you can take over the counter.....it will, on occassion, stop working while you are under water and you could experience a reverse block if you have problems with sinuses and I can tell you from experience that it is not fun! Since I started taking only RX strength meds I don't have that problem but I had a dm stay an extra five minutes down with me because of the reverse block...good thing we weren't out of air...this was 2 years ago and I still haven't forgotten...

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    If a person uses things like pseudofed then the 24 hour variety is what you should be using to avoid reverse blocks.

I think the others have covered the hows and whys of headaches for the most part and I think they're right.
    Matthew P. Cummings
    Moberly MO

Barracuda Founding Member
    i get the knock-off 24hour sudefed brand at walmart and take 4-5 tablets instead of 1 tablet.

i get the knock-off 24hour sudefed brand at walmart and take 4-5 tablets instead of 1 tablet.
    Do be careful with that. Pseudoephedrine acts by constricting your blood vessels, which raises your blood pressure, which can cause headaches. I used to get headaches which were sudden onset, and when I had one of these headaches I couldn't function. These went away when I started taking meds that dilate your blood vessels, the opposite of OTC decongestants. I'm not sure whether 4-5x the recommended dosage of Sudafed could cause a headache that bad, but I would definitely not want to risk something like that at 100 ft!

(Obligatory not a doctor disclaimer here)

Thanks for the warning about reverse block. I know a few divers that use sudafed without problems, but I cannot take that medication because it's too strong and my heart does not appreciate it. I thought that Tylenol would be an option, but given your experience I think I won't take the chance. I guess I should just take more time during the descent to make sure everything equalizes just fine.

FyVe
    thanks for posting this lol i was wondering also... it does seem to go away after some cups of water though.

Guppy
    Good advice all

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenagirl View Post
    Headaches are often a result of CO2 retention. My husband is a photographer and used to hold his breath for a short time to get a shot. When he did this he always had a killer headache at the end of the dive. It can also happen if you're skip breathing or breathing too shallowly.
    are you kiddinghold his breath while diving.... rule number one in OW dive class. NEVER HOLD YOUR BREATH.

Shark Founding Member
    Enid, Oklahoma (no longer living the desert life)
    Images
    Well, to be honest, that is a gross generalization told to new OW divers. It is told becase many instructors don't want to take the time to explain the finer points of bouyancy control.

So to explain this further... never hold your breath while you are ascending. It's perfectly fine to hold your breath for a few moments if you need to be really still. Never hold you breath as a routine of breathing.

Clear now?

FD

Barracuda Founding Member
    yea, holding your breath isn't a big deal. it's not that it's overblown, but it's alot easier to drill it into students head to "never hold your breath" so they don't get lung expansion injuries or something while ascending.

which brings us up to the real point. never hold your breath while ascending

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information