Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Lake mead.

  1. #1
    Shark
    Join Date
    03/21/2008
    Location
    key largo florida
    Age
    34
    Posts
    3,408

    Lake mead.

    hey going to florida in march to get my cert. We had talked about doing a trip to vages this summer. maybe loose some money. Then it hit me lake mead was out there. How is the diving there? We where there a few years back and we could see 15 feet down maybe more. Is it worth hauling the gear out there.

  2. #2
    Shark
    Join Date
    09/20/2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Posts
    2,193
    Vis varies, but is much better now thanks to Al-Quaqqa (invasive mussels). The vis on a regular basis is 40 or more, and I've seen it farther than I can estimate, probably over 60. I've heard 70 and 80, but not sure about that. If you don't have a boat, then you really aren't going to see much. Some of the cool stuff is ag piles, and other equipment and facilities used to build Hoover Dam.

    It's only impossible.

  3. #3
    Shark
    Join Date
    03/21/2008
    Location
    key largo florida
    Age
    34
    Posts
    3,408
    thank buddy

  4. #4
    Grouper dkh6070's Avatar
    Join Date
    08/10/2009
    Location
    Roswell, GA
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by inventor View Post
    , and other equipment and facilities used to build Hoover Dam.
    Inventor, Are the tunnels used to divert the water during construction above or below current water levels?

  5. #5
    Shark
    Join Date
    03/21/2008
    Location
    key largo florida
    Age
    34
    Posts
    3,408
    now that would be a good dive
    Quote Originally Posted by dkh6070 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by inventor View Post
    , and other equipment and facilities used to build Hoover Dam.
    Inventor, Are the tunnels used to divert the water during construction above or below current water levels?

  6. #6
    Guppy Founding Member
    Join Date
    07/13/2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    123
    divert tunnels became the spillways, but you can see some hopers etc though I would not dive inside the "tunnels" w\out cave training. it can be dangerous. one of them has a split.

    if you are a tech diver you can do the B29 or the PBY, a few charters are members on our site lvdivers.com.
    Thanks,

    -- BMP --

    Las Vegas Divers

  7. #7
    Shark
    Join Date
    10/03/2007
    Location
    San Antonio, TX for now...
    Posts
    2,867
    Quote Originally Posted by bmp51 View Post
    divert tunnels became the spillways, but you can see some hopers etc though I would not dive inside the "tunnels" w\out cave training. it can be dangerous. one of them has a split.

    if you are a tech diver you can do the B29 or the PBY, a few charters are members on our site lvdivers.com.
    IIRC, when I was there, that thing was sitting at about 150... with the water as low as it is now, it should be real close to recreational levels??? Wouldn't be able to spend much time without getting into deco obligation, but even to spend 8 minutes (NDL at 130) would be a worthwhile dive, I would think...

    edit: looks like in 07, it was actually at 138, as referenced by a review on Scubaboard... but, something I didn't think of was that you can only do the dive through Tech Diving Limited in Las Vegas, so, even if it is at 130ish, they are going to want full tech setups...
    Last edited by mitsuguy; 02-02-2010 at 03:48.
    -cody / on vacation from vacation...
    PADI MSDT Instructor, US Coast Guard Captain - Master Near Coastal

  8. #8
    Grouper dkh6070's Avatar
    Join Date
    08/10/2009
    Location
    Roswell, GA
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsuguy View Post
    IIRC, when I was there, that thing was sitting at about 150... with the water as low as it is now, it should be real close to recreational levels??? Wouldn't be able to spend much time without getting into deco obligation, but even to spend 8 minutes (NDL at 130) would be a worthwhile dive, I would think...

    edit: looks like in 07, it was actually at 138, as referenced by a review on Scubaboard... but, something I didn't think of was that you can only do the dive through Tech Diving Limited in Las Vegas, so, even if it is at 130ish, they are going to want full tech setups...
    Would still be a cool dive just to say you did it. Kinda like visiting Old Faithful in Yellowstone, not much once you get there but you can say you went.

  9. #9
    Shark
    Join Date
    03/21/2008
    Location
    key largo florida
    Age
    34
    Posts
    3,408
    YA kind of like paying 15000 to go to africa and killing a huge elephant. You want to do it but only once.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkh6070 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsuguy View Post
    IIRC, when I was there, that thing was sitting at about 150... with the water as low as it is now, it should be real close to recreational levels??? Wouldn't be able to spend much time without getting into deco obligation, but even to spend 8 minutes (NDL at 130) would be a worthwhile dive, I would think...

    edit: looks like in 07, it was actually at 138, as referenced by a review on Scubaboard... but, something I didn't think of was that you can only do the dive through Tech Diving Limited in Las Vegas, so, even if it is at 130ish, they are going to want full tech setups...
    Would still be a cool dive just to say you did it. Kinda like visiting Old Faithful in Yellowstone, not much once you get there but you can say you went.

  10. #10
    Well, currently nobody holds a commercial permit to dive the b29. Diving it is strictly prohibited unless you are on an approved charter boat...and with no permits at the moment, it is legally not diveable.

    Also, the boat ties in quite a way off from the actual plane, so the swim along the bottom to get to the plane would eat your NDL, meaning you wouldnt even get to see it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Anybody here dive the B29 in Lake Mead?
    By 68raggtop in forum Wreck Diving
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-09-2015, 18:55
  2. Lake Mead weather conditions
    By elio in forum Las Vegas Divers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-13-2009, 08:01
  3. Diving Lake Mead, Las Vegas
    By Recon in forum Trips & Travel
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-13-2009, 02:52
  4. Lake Mead, Las Vegas
    By Recon in forum Trips & Travel
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-03-2009, 18:53
  5. Lake Mead
    By BrianS. in forum Trips & Travel
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-23-2007, 00:18

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •