Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Suggestion for best new thread prize.

Grouper Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrzyJay456 View Post
    holly cow.
    i love the idea about best post rather than thread.
    I don't like that idea at all! Larry would win every other month and just keep the prize!
    Head for the kelp!

Grouper Founding Member
    Thanks for the lesson Larry, it's important that everyone understands the prizes aren't cost free for you guys. ST is truly generous with all of the prizes, discounts, gift certificates for posting, etc. and we need to be thankful for what we're being given. I really think there have been quite a few threads/posts that just seem greedy to me. I'm not trying to flame here, it's just an observation and has been bothering me. I'm happy to be on a board that isn't a bunch of negative flaming and is full of great information and people that just want to enjoy diving. The prizes and discounts are an added bonus.

I like the idea of next month's prize going to the post that has the most positive effect on the board. I'm glad I'm not the one sifting through all the posts trying to figure out who wins. lol.
    Last edited by lucidblue; 09-04-2007 at 19:53.

Grouper
    it will be a tough one to judge for best post, thread still seems good but it all depends on people adding to the thread with their input. Maybe a vote for the top few best posts then send it to the polls for the masses to judge?

Grouper Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DivingsInMyBlood View Post
    it will be a tough one to judge for best post, thread still seems good but it all depends on people adding to the thread with their input. Maybe a vote for the top few best posts then send it to the polls for the masses to judge?
    Whether it is posts or threads, I like the idea of ST choosing a few that they like best and then letting the board vote. Probably a good way to figure out what everyone is interested in too.

Grouper
    Images
    I think it's VERY generous that ST offers the 10% discount, plus the $60 for posting on the board.. AND the 'best post' prizes! ... only thing i can think is that it would be cool if there were "ScubaToy Rewards" earned for purchases that could be used for future purchases...kinda like BassProShops.... i mean, face it, we're gonna keep spending the bucks....

just a thought, Larry.....
    i will play for gumbo.

Guppy Founding Member

Please read

Look folks, as I stated earlier, the post was only a suggestion. Now that I read back through, the wording didn't come out quite the way I had intended. It ended with what was supposed to be a bit of a joke on myself in that I am always buying stuff that I want even if I don't need it. Sorry about that, better leave the humor to the comedians from now on.

My sincere intention was to make a positive contribution to this board as a member and yet it seemed to have come across to some of you as if the greedy, begging MagnaBoxer is trying to put Joe and Larry in the poorhouse. I'm not much of a public speaker either, but that doesn't make me a bad person. One stray post here and it seems as if I'm enemy no.1 and it's not something I'm used to.

Do I ask for my 10% discount when I make a purchase. You bet. Don't you? Do I beg off free stuff from ST. No, I pay for it with my hard earned cash.
    Have I posted enough to claim my first gift cert? Yes, but I haven't claimed it and never intend to. I'm not much interested in being paid for posts because I obviously haven't made any positive contributions.

Like I said earlier, I am a customer of ST's and not a freeloader who just happened to come across this forum and started begging for stuff. As a matter of fact unless I get delayed flying out of Muscat tonight I'm planning on being there saturday to pick up the 3 Worthington 100's and the Brigade they have sized for me. I have no aspirations of ever winning any prize, and wasn't making a plea on a personal level. I'm just happy to have a place to come read the posts and learn from others.

So, from now on I'll leave the suggestions to others and be content to learn what I can. You may still see a foolish post from me now and again. Hopefully you'll still reply and help out a guy who always has some foolish question or another.

Joe and Larry, the bag is a great prize. Whoever wins it will be very lucky and my congratulations to them for winning it, and to you for being generous enough to give it.

To Joe, Larry and all who were offended it sincerely was not my intention and I apologize to one and all.

Peace

Barracuda Founding Member
    Now now, don't pout. Larry expressly stated he was not offended and that's all that matters. Those that kinda jumped on you probably didn't mean it to be seen as such. You'll find that you need to wear a thick skin and learn to brush off stuff on forums, even the tamest of forums and Scubatoys is one of the tamer ones running. It's just the nature of the medium. We don't know each other's history or manner to put comments in proper context, and tones of speech (sarcasm, humor, etc) are hard to express in words. Use and observe the emoticons liberally.

Let it go, you have to do that on forums. Never hold a grudge and never be afraid to join in on a discussion. I wanna see you post in at least three other threads by the end of the day.

(Can I have your $10 gift cert? )
    The water's more exciting.. with CHUM in it!

Grand Poobah Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Magna boxer... No hard feelings whatsoever... I've had multiple threads where people have said, "get this stuff from the manufacturer for a give away and it won't cost you anything"... Probably at least a half a dozen to this point... so I was responding to that general concept - not your post in particular - so please if it seems like I thought I was firing at you... please accept my apology. That's the only problem sometimes with boards... after words are immortalized, they are hard to take back, and sometimes, how you are interpreted is not what you meant.

So everyone... we'll try to keep coming up with cool games, prizes, work on the best way to make it fair, and give people incentive to hang around here... but it seems like the best incentive - is the great bunch of people that post here...

So hopefully - no hard feelings anywhere here... definitely none from me!

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Images
    Larry,

To repeat what a few others said, "Thanks for the business lesson". I knew margins were razor thin in the scuba business; I didn't know they were THAT thin. Hopefully GattSplat is doing well.

I run a travel agency. I'm forever being hit-up by groups and charity organizations who tell me that cruise lines and resorts "give away their product. Can't you get one from them?" Hah!!! I'm happy just to be able to get brochures from them. Sometimes, they help pay for booth space at a trade show, it it's not much. I've got to do several million a year with a cruise line before they'll comp $50 for a show. Like you, after expenses, our margins are thin.

So, bro, thanks for your generosity and the help that you and your staff provide. Ya gotta do it for the fun, because the money's not there.
    rick

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information