Thread: Houston area shore dive

Houston area shore dive

I'll be down in Houston this week (and probably twice a month for the next few months). Anyone know of a good place to shore dive? Is there a scuba club down there?

Grouper
    I wasn't certified when I was living in Houston, but I would be somewhat surprised if there was good shore diving around. You might be able to find something marginally okay in Galveston, which is like 45 minutes away. It probably gets better towards south padre but then you're starting to get pretty far away. Houston area gulf = heavily polluted

Barracuda Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brojack17 View Post
    I'll be down in Houston this week (and probably twice a month for the next few months). Anyone know of a good place to shore dive? Is there a scuba club down there?
    Unfortunately, there is no shore diving in this area. Now some may say that you can dive in Offat's Bayou in Galveston and it's true, if you enjoy 1-3 feet of viz in brown water you will have it made. I doubt there was any good shore diving here even 1000 years ago as it has almost nothing to do with "pollution" and everything to do with river silt. The Mississippi pumps tons of silt into the gulf every day and it then usually heads west with the current, picking up along the way the contributions of the Sabine and Trinity rivers. That's why our sand has such a fine texture and muddy composition.

As for dive clubs, see my signature line.
    The water's more exciting.. with CHUM in it!

Grouper
    heh, well it also is pretty trashy in addition to muddy then

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by brojack17 View Post
    Cozumel

Guppy
    Prob. about the best you will do in that area. I have not tried it yet but plan to this summer.

Home Page

That looks pretty cool. I may have to give it a shot this spring or summer.

Galveston Bay is not "pristine", but the the waters are no more polluted than those near any other industrial area. The "brown" is from longshore drift and sediments carried in by rivers in the area. You need to get offshore a bit for any viz, although you will occasionally hear of "green water to the beach", this is not predictible.

I would suggest a rig dive, or in normal times, a trip to the Flower Gardens. Right now, the Gardens are problematic. There is no "oil", but the Fling, the main charter, is booked with NOAA oil spill response through mid-August. I still have a trip on the books for August 27, but it's iffy.

Like someone said, Cozumel is a short flight away.

Thread Information