Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Freedom Backplate

Grand Poobah Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod

Freedom Backplate

Learn More about the Freedom Backplate

The Freedom Plate is a single tank plate designed similar to a vintage style plate with cut away sides where your shoulder blades are for a super close and comfortable fit. The lower sides of the Freedom Plate flare out for tank stability and also for added weight. The two shoulder straps come out of a singe point at the top for a very comfortable and snug fit over your shoulders.A regular piece of 2" webbing HOG style can be used for a harness with d rings exactly like a regular Back plate.

The...

More...

Barracuda
    Images
    Wow!!! I have one these and they are a great plate. I use mine for wet suit diving and travel plate.
    - Dennis ><()))">

Barracuda
    Images
    This awesome. It's great that ScubaToys is taking on a product that's the labor of love of an individual.

Furthering the American Dream and all that.

And it's a damned fine product!!
    - Fisheater

Shark
    Images
    now to figure out how to get this one past my wife. This is a great product!
    With the privilege of diving, comes the responsibility of conservation. If you dont like this signature I DONT CARE!!!!!!!!

Grouper
    I love my Eric built Freedom Plate. It is a work of art and a superb singles plate. N

Grouper
    How is trim with these plates vs e.g. the diverite backplate?

Grouper
    (I'm kind of trying to decide between either this, the Dive Rite AL or the Dive rite SS for a mix of NE drysuit diving and tropical 3mm diving with the Oxycheq Mach V signature 30lb wing I just bought. Exclusively for singles for at least probably another year, and if I go doubles I may just buy a doubles exclusive setup). I use 6lbs with my old BC in the tropics, so I would go with the Dive Rite SS, but I'm slightly concerned that it might be a bit too much weight. The Freedom plate is kind of in between the two diverites in weight but costs a lot more. The Diverite SS would get a couple more lbs onto my back which would be nice for drysuit diving though. Do people notice a difference in trim between having weight in the back plate vs weight on cam straps pushed up against the backplate? Because if not, I could go with the lighter backplate and just put more weight on cam straps.

TadPole

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by j1j2j38 View Post
    Do people notice a difference in trim between having weight in the back plate vs weight on cam straps pushed up against the backplate? Because if not, I could go with the lighter backplate and just put more weight on cam straps.
    I have one of the first Freedom Plates on the market, and prior to this, I was diving a Halcyon BP w/Pioneer 45lb wing. I love my Freedom Plate. It's a bit lighter than the Halcyon, DiveRite and others, but it doesn't matter too much to me since I dive with heavy steel HP 120's and 130's--the weight mostly comes from the tanks. Having the FP to me is better since it fits really well on my back and I have freedom to move my arms around, especially when photographing in odd positions to get the shot. The bottom of the plate is curved away from your body and sits nicely on your lower back while the sides curve in to keep the plate from sliding left to right. When I travel, I can pack it easily as opposed to switching to a lighter aluminum plate. It fits me great and it's practically one-size-fits-all. I'm 6'2" 220lbs and a gal in my dive club is barely 5 ft tall 110lbs, and is using the same sized plate with no problem.

Ericson

In regards to having weight on the plate vs the cam straps, I really prefer to have the weight on the plate to keep my center of gravity as stable as possible. I noticed when mounting the weight on the cam strap, I often find myself fighting to stay trim if I lean too much to the left or right.
    Last edited by scubajunkee; 01-27-2010 at 23:34. Reason: forgot my name...

Grouper
    I don't know anyone who has a Freedom plate that isn't glad they bought one.

How does this plate fare against the Oxycheq SS Travel Plate? anybody knows?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information